DIY Message Boards
Tile over engineered flooring

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/3043982577

Nov 16, 2013, 01:22 PM
Applewart
Tile over engineered flooring
I'm new to DIY and this is my first post. I have been looking at the feasibility of laying Tile over my laminate flooring.I put this garbage flooring in my kitchen 2 years ago.Any little drop of water causes it to swell at the joints. It looks like garbage. OK a little history of my flooring. I have 3/4 tongue and grove subfloor then there is 1/2 plywood over that. Next a vapor barrier and the laminate flooring. Is it a bad idea to bond the ceramic tile to the laminate with an epoxy? And what if I screwed the laminate down?
Nov 16, 2013, 03:23 PM
Jaybee
You need to have q subfloor material that doesn't move - like plywood. Plywood over the original 3/4 T&G is OK. From the plywood layer, you add a 1/4" or 1/2" concrete board backer set in thinset. Then you add your tile.

Short story here is that you are getting too many layers. Add to that that fact that it's swelling (movement = bad)and that says that you need to get rid of the laminate flooring.

If you wanted to keep the laminate you would have to install a layer of plywood on top, then a concrete backer on top of that - way more work compared to removing the laminate and certainly much more money.

Jaybee
Nov 16, 2013, 10:19 PM
Applewart
Thanks Jaybee