All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    How to install a transition strip
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

How to install a transition strip Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have carpet in the downstairs hallway and ceramic tile in the downstairs bathroom. There's a brass metal trim that edges the carpet. As a glaring testimony to my minimal skills, there is a slightly uneven gap between the tile in the bathroom and the brass metal trim in the hallway: about 1/4" wide on the left and 1/2" wide on the right. I would like to install a wood transition strip to cover that gap. My understanding is that I should drill 3 or 4 quarter-inch holes appropriately spaced in the gap (which means drilling into the slab), glue a piece of dowel into each hole, then hammer a finishing nail through the wood transition piece and into the dowel. I'm not at all happy about the idea of drilling into the slab. Is that really the best way to do it? How deep to drill?

Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Glue it. A good two part epoxy will do the trick, will cure fast and will not expand. Gorilla glue is also more than strong enough but you'll want to carefully tape on either side of the work as it will expand as it cures.

Jaybee

Posts: 10428 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Agreed, glue it. You can also use construction adhesive. But whatever you use, clean the slab area real well so the glue grabs onto the slab, and not a bunch of dust or dirt that never got cleaned

Posts: 977 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Just my opinion..
        I wouldn't glue the wood, maybe a polished marble or limestone threshold that closely matches your tiles and has the right bevels. They also come in solid colors.

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I've glued 6 transition strips using PL Premium. Worked fine. I used canned food to hold the strips down over night.

Posts: 2488 | Registered: Apr 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post