All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Flooring for extreme temperatures?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Flooring for extreme temperatures? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello!

I'm wondering what the best type of flooring would be for a couple of old rail cars that are currently being used as a museum. The museum runs all summer, and is empty and unused in the winter. We currently have flooring that was once expensive and was supposed to be suitable, but is now warped from shrinking and expanding. We run primarily off of donations, so something cost-effective that can handle high traffic would be great!

PS: Extreme temperatures range from -40 Celsius to +30.

Thank you!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        That's a pretty broad temperature range. Are you in some part of northern Canada?

I don't have any technical suggestions but am just wondering exactly what kind of flooring is in place now, and what kind of subflooring is beneath it? That may help others with more knowledge than I.

Posts: 1906 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I am - northern Ontario, actually.
        The subfloor is plywood, and the actual flooring is industrial linoleum.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        How about a floating laminate?

Very durable surface for high traffic. Easy to install on top of any smooth surface. Designed to expand and contract with temperature changes. Reasonably priced.

If you go with a high quality grade your material costs will be in the $3 to $5 per square foot range.

Jaybee

Posts: 10305 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post