All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Dark wood trim and base boards
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Dark wood trim and base boards Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Ok so we bought our house and one of the best features about it is the original woodwork in this beautiful dark stain. We ripped up all the carpet to showcase the original hardwood floors, which are in fantastic condition. We would like to refinish them to freshen them up, insert our delima, we don't know what color to go with on the floors. Do we go light to contrast the dark trim, do we match the color, or do we chose something in between? I love dark hardwood floors but I always see it with white trim which isn't an option for us we don't want to lose the character of house but I do like the contemporary look. I need help? I haven't seen any photos of a dark trim home with hardwood floors. Any suggestions?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        this is what most of Rehab Addict's houses look like.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi MillersGal813,

What you might do is take some pictures of the rooms where you are concerned about what to do. Once you have your pictures go to a web site that allows you to upload pictures for free, such as Google Picasa ( http://picasa.google.com/ ) or http://www.photobucket.com . First download software if needed as in Picasa, or create a free account with photobucket and then upload your pictures to the site. View them on the web and determine which pictures to post you wish to post links to in another message on the DIY Boards. This is a much easier method than trying to post the actual pictures here on the DIY Boards because you may only post one picture at a time in a message and it much be no more than 100Kb in size.

Then return here and post a new message here on the DIY Boards and state your concerns and in the message include links to your pictures so that others can see the links to your pictures view them on the web and offer you suggestions. In this way others may view your pictures and offer suggestions based on their visual observations which you can consider.

Realize though that we each have different preferences and what is appealing to one person is not the same for another. In the end it is your preferences that need to be met.

There are also some paint manufacturer sites which allow one to upload a picture of a room to software online to change the colour of a wall etc. and to view this colour effect on a room one might wish to paint. You might find that it would allow you to change the colour of flooring via painting to give you an idea of how your room might look in that way. I'm not sure of what manufacturers offer this software but others here might be able to provide a link to a site that does this.

Others may have additional suggestions.

Good Luck!

Posts: 519 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        How much natural and artificial light do you have in your rooms? What colors are the walls? What colors are your furniture items and draperies?

These are factors which could influence whether the rooms appear to be dark and English mansion style or lighter and more contemporary.

Simply_Me is right - photos would really help.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'll have to take some photos and put them up. I've had nutural tones on the walls for a while but I'm really into lighter walls in grey tones so I'm changing up a lot of the wall colors I really want a floor color that will go with what ever I decide to have as a color scheme as far at paint and furniture. But I will work on uploading a picture to better help with everyone's opinion Smile thanks for the help so far

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post