All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Poured Concrete Sub Floor
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Poured Concrete Sub Floor Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am replacing the tile floor in my bathroom. upon demo of old tile a 1.5 inch poured concrete subfloor ws discovered. How do i prepare said subfloor for new instalation of tile?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You'll need to scrape off any old thinset residue to make an almost smooth and level surface. If there are any crumbled spots in the concrete, patch and level. Other than that, you should be good to lay your new tile directly on top of the concrete.

Jaybee

Posts: 10479 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Is there a need for a membrane over the concrete sub floor

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jalbensi:
        Is there a need for a membrane over the concrete sub floor

Probably not - the concrete slab makes for a good surface to bond the thinset and tile.

However - if there are cracks in the concrete that could transfer through to the tile then adding a membrane could help to isolate the tile from the cracks and prevent that from happening.

Jaybee

Posts: 10479 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        My concern would be..
        You claim the poured concrete is only 1-1/2" thick.

Posts: 910 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It's a very common but much older method of making a masonry subfloor designed to hold tile. Floor framing is dropped several inches in the area to be tiled and a heavy wooden subfloor is installed. Usually this is a double layer of diagonal 1x planking installed in opposite directions. The 'slab' is then poured over a lathe wire support. When the slab is leveled out, it's top surface is on the same plane as the remainder of the (non-tiled) floor.

They either use a very high density concrete or maybe it's so hard because all of these have been curing since the 30's or 40's but every one of these I've come across are very difficult to remove. The lathe wire adds to that but the end result is that the usual 1-1/2" to 2" thickness is more than enough.

In many cases, the framing is doubled up or solid blocking is installed under the entire area to make it even stronger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

posted Hide Post
        I was thinking the house was on a slab.
        I got carried away with the word " poured".

posted Hide Post
        And then there is the word 'subfloor', which for a novice might have a total different meaning from an experienced builder, which I think also caused a problem on another thread recently.

They make it look so easy on tv, don't they

Posts: 993 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Well I didn't want to but heads here...But......
        Poster didn't say if house was built on concrete slab or not.
        Poster didn't say if this was on the second floor or not.

Poured concrete = slab,,, If this was a slab it would probably have a leveling material on it.

If this is what you say it is, then it's a mud job. You don't pour mud you place it.

posted Hide Post
        Well I am new to this blog stuff. Thanks for all the input. I will try to be specific next time I ask for help. The subfloor I asked about is on the second floor of a 60 year old house. Thanks again

posted Hide Post
        Jalbensi..
        If I offended you in anyway I'm sorry, as that was not my intention..

posted Hide Post
        You did not offend me at all.