All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    I put in tiled flooring in our master bath but did not put down heated coil. Help?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

I put in tiled flooring in our master bath but did not put down heated coil. Help? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        When I put down these tiles I forgot the heated coil now it is so cold you can't walk on it. We tried bath rugs but my wife has MS and fell breaking her foot. Help Please I'm unsure what to do. We can not afford to do the floor over.
        Thank you, Jerry

Posts: 6 | Location: Puyallup, WA | Registered: Nov 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Several things:

1. First - Jerry, reedit your sign-in name. Not too good an idea to put your regular email account as your log-in name on a public board like this.

2. If you want and need a heated floor, there is just no alternative except pulling up the tile that is there in order to lay the grid needed for heating. Sorry, but that's just the fact of it.

3. If you cannot afford to redo the tile, then a small space heater directed at the floor will at least help. Something like this can be directed at the floor. Not perfect but inexpensive and will heat the tile up.

http://www.zorotools.com/g/000...eIw7oCFSEV7AodYmgAHQ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10424 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you Jaybee, I'm trying to change my user name now but this is not easy.
        As for the floor being heated we are doing just what you suggested. I was hoping there was a better way.
        Again thank you very much.
        Jerry

Posts: 6 | Location: Puyallup, WA | Registered: Nov 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        What's under the floor? Crawl space, basement?
        Is it insulated under the floor?
        Have the rim joist been insulated?

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        nothing about the floor, but as to your sign in, just create a new account with a different name then use that one and forget the one you're using now.It will soon disappear under hundreds of posts
        or you could go to the posts you already have and hide them and delete the account

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2572 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you everyone for your help!
        My did I make a terrible mistake.

posted Hide Post
        I will check out the insulation, it is a crawl space.
        It is so cold my wife with her broken foot and MS goes down the hall to the other bathroom.
        If I tier it up and put down hardwood floors is it wise in a bath?

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Jerry, were the rugs you put down backed with nonslip backing? That might help temporarily and prevent your wife from slipping again. Also, does she wear any shoes or socks with extra sturdy tread, such as the hospital gripper socks?

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks again for all the help. As for the rugs yes they were rubber back. She wears one shoe and now a cast/boot do to her broken foot.
        I think I'm going to need to tear it up when I'm done putting in a new tankless water hearted. Our old one went last week. Not a tankless just a old water hearted.
        Jerry

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If you are tearing out and rebuilding I'd go back with tile vs hardwood. Tile is a better material for all the moisture found in a bathroom and will also conduct & retain any heat from the underfloor coils better.

As to the water heater thing - Do some research first. In a whole-house application, tankless water heaters can have many limitations and are not much cheaper to run vs a conventional water heater when you consider higher installation costs. Electric tankless units for whole house use are a total waste of time as you will never see payback.

Your first post mentioned that money is tight. If the old WH is beyond repair, the most efficient replacement will be to install a new version of whatever you have now.

Jaybee

Posts: 10424 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If you have a crawl space, you could install a radiant heat system with flexible pex tubing between the floor joists or even cheaper and faster, electric heated rugs, just not sure about placing them close to a shower or bathtub.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        WOW thank you so much!best idea I have gotten.
        Again thanks,
        Jerry