DIY Message Boards
New laminate floor question

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/1403918577

Dec 09, 2013, 12:11 PM
pupmccat
New laminate floor question
We recently installed laminate flooring in our home. We have a very old farmhouse dining table with casters. Will they damage the flooring?
Dec 09, 2013, 12:42 PM
Conrad
They might, depends on the size of the casters and weight of the table and especially if it were slid accidentally across a piece of gravel? I would probably opt to put some sort of protective furniture cup under the table legs, to distribute the weight. Some are made with bottoms so the table can move/slide, others are made to hold it more in place.
Dec 09, 2013, 01:37 PM
nona
if they are steel casters, get rid of them or change over to vinyl casters. Casters are rated by the weight each one can support, so if you replace the casters make sure that the table doesn't weigh more than the max weight X 4. I would actually subtract the support weight of one caster so as to give me a little wiggle room. I would be very careful that there is no foreign stuff adhering to the casters that could damage the floor
Dec 09, 2013, 02:24 PM
pupmccat
Table is very old, very heavy. Reluctant to remove current casters because of value of piece. Think we'll have to look into the furniture cups as Conrad mentioned. Local big box home improvement store does not carry them.
Dec 09, 2013, 04:20 PM
Conrad
Try your local private or chain hardware stores for the furniture cups?