All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    laying laminate over no pile carpet
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

laying laminate over no pile carpet Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a 900 sq ft room that I want to put a 14mm laminate in but there is glue down no pile carpet on the floor. It's like office carpet. Is it ok to lay the laminate on top of the carpet instead of using that moisture barrier stuff? Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Doubtful. If there is no more 'give' to the carpet than the thin backer used for floating floors then it could possibly work. Your carpet would have to compress by less than 1/8".

The potential problem is that if you put a concentrated amount of weight in one spot on the floating floor - like full body weight on a heel on one foot - the flooring can depress enough for the locking joints to release.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you for your fast response. The carpet is just glued down to the wood subfloor. The type of carpet I am talking about is a no pile no padding carpet.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I think that if you check with any of the flooring manufacturers they will say 'no'. They really can't recommend anything other than their stock and tested pads.

You could try comparing your carpet to a piece of floating floor padding to see how much the carpet compresses in comparison. Or, take the plunge and buy one package of flooring, put it together on top of the carpet and see how it works. Beyond that, I can't see any other way to get a definitive answer.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I like your idea of just trying it out with a box of flooring. Thank you so much.