All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Laminate --Transition strip on EVERY doorway ??
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Laminate --Transition strip on EVERY doorway ?? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm getting mixed info from web (imagine!) about whether laminate flooring should have a transition strip put under the doorways of each room. I'll have a family room, hall that goes into the bedroom areas with three rooms. Do I need to 'stop' the floating laminate in the hall and use a transition piece at each door (and make each room a separate floating floor) or continue the whole floor into the three rooms with no transition pieces? I'm sure that not using them would look better, but which is best for long-term?

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It's recommended that you use transition strips by the manufacturer - this is because there can be some expansion and contraction of floating floors causing them to move a little. The larger the floor area, the more space you may need for expansion. That's the official version.

That said, we have done more than one room and in one case, an entire house with floating floors that stayed continuous through every room. We allowed for 1/2" expansion all around and haven't seen any problems. The whole-house project was done about 4 years ago. I think if the house is stable with temperature throughout the year you will not have any problems running the floor without expansion joints in the doorways. It may be a different story if the floating floor is over a slab or if the house keeps it's windows open frequently.

Jaybee

Posts: 10153 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post