DIY Message Boards
Laminate --Transition strip on EVERY doorway ??

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/1163997967

Apr 17, 2013, 08:13 AM
GreenBasket
Laminate --Transition strip on EVERY doorway ??
I'm getting mixed info from web (imagine!) about whether laminate flooring should have a transition strip put under the doorways of each room. I'll have a family room, hall that goes into the bedroom areas with three rooms. Do I need to 'stop' the floating laminate in the hall and use a transition piece at each door (and make each room a separate floating floor) or continue the whole floor into the three rooms with no transition pieces? I'm sure that not using them would look better, but which is best for long-term?
Apr 18, 2013, 03:04 PM
Jaybee
It's recommended that you use transition strips by the manufacturer - this is because there can be some expansion and contraction of floating floors causing them to move a little. The larger the floor area, the more space you may need for expansion. That's the official version.

That said, we have done more than one room and in one case, an entire house with floating floors that stayed continuous through every room. We allowed for 1/2" expansion all around and haven't seen any problems. The whole-house project was done about 4 years ago. I think if the house is stable with temperature throughout the year you will not have any problems running the floor without expansion joints in the doorways. It may be a different story if the floating floor is over a slab or if the house keeps it's windows open frequently.

Jaybee