DIY Message Boards
Wood Floor to Carpet

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/1113965967

Apr 08, 2013, 03:42 PM
LindseyM84
Wood Floor to Carpet
Currently my living room and dining room have a floating wood floor. I want to install carpet in the living room portion, but leave the dinning room and entryway portion wood floor. I know I can't install carpet over part of a wood floor. What is the best way to tackle this project?
Apr 08, 2013, 05:56 PM
Jaybee
Remove the floating floor in the areas that will get carpet. Install wood transition pieces to cover the floating floor edge and either butt up to the carpet or overlap it. Check with your carpet install as to what style transition piece will work best with the type of carpet and pad you have chosen.

Jaybee
Apr 08, 2013, 11:50 PM
LindseyM84
Thanks for your help! If we cut up a portion of the floor - will that cause it to buckle? Or do I have to nail down a corner to make sure it does all pop up once we start cutting where the carpet will be laid?
Apr 09, 2013, 01:01 AM
Jaybee
You cannot nail through a floating floor, this will keep if from moving and expanding/contracting. Just start removing flooring planks. Snap together floors will just come apart. Glue together floors will still pop apart, but will take a little effort. If your dimensions require that some flooring will be cut, keep those planks in place and cut with a shallow set circular saw. Again, check with your carpet installer as to what style transition piece is needed. Your transition piece will overlap the wood floor, giving it room to expand and move.

Jaybee
Apr 10, 2013, 02:03 AM
Sharon Grover
We must take care of our floor. We can use carpets or rugs to cover the floor. Most of the times it helps us from many reasons. We can avoid sleepy floors and also keep it warm. You can use rugs as a home decor ideas. You can also get such many uses and ideas at the blog of Rugsandblinds.com.
Apr 10, 2013, 12:58 PM
GardenSprite
quote:
Originally posted by Sharon Grover:
We must take care of our floor. We can use carpets or rugs to cover the floor. Most of the times it helps us from many reasons. We can avoid sleepy floors and also keep it warm. You can use rugs as a home decor ideas. You can also get such many uses and ideas at the blog of Rugsandblinds.com.

And pray tell what is a "sleepy floor"? I was unaware that floors needed naps like people. Do they need to be fed too?

What happens if we want to walk on a floor and it's sleepy and needs its nap? Do we have to wait until it's rested? What's next? collective bargaining for floors to enforce sleep time?

At last one of the spammers has written something humorous, unintentionally.

New Spammer, don't expect anyone to visit your blog disguised as a website to give you hits. It's obvious you're just another spammer.

Are you Dabney Walker incarnated, or Amelia Markous, or one of the other useless, obnoxious pesty trolls?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,