DIY Message Boards
Cats in yard

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8421916776/m/9713913967

Mar 29, 2013, 06:17 PM
cjt
Cats in yard
How can I keep stray cats out of my yard.I have tried everything including shooting them with a BB gun. They still return. Every day!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cjt,
Mar 29, 2013, 06:52 PM
reeree
I, too, had tried everything. Nothing worked. Now, I have a neighbor with the same problem trapping them for me with a non-injuring, cage-like trap on the nights he's not using it himself. He said the trap cost about $25 at Tractor Supply. He takes the cats to the local animal shelter. I had to do something because my son is highly allergic to them, and they were getting into my garage not only leaving behind dander, but also spraying all over the place.
Mar 29, 2013, 08:51 PM
Re-mdlr
Cats are known to wander. Trapping a neighbors cat could get you a real enemy by you, or shooting them could really make someone irate. I'd call the police on you for animal cruelty.
Call your local animal control and ask them what to do. Or google search on what to do. Here's one site without me even trying: click here

Hose everything off to get rid of any existing smell, keep doors closed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,
Mar 29, 2013, 09:03 PM
GardenSprite
I too am appalled that CJT would shoot cats to keep them out of her/his yard. As Re-mdlr stated, this is animal cruelty, and there is no excuse for it. It is in fact a crime, a misdemeanor I believe but possibly a felony.

Do you have an animal control unit within your local community? If so, contact them. If not, contact the county in which you live to see if they have an animal control unit.

Or contact the Michigan Humane Society.

A friendly alternative is to plant catnip in a place in your yard far away from the house. The cats will be attracted to it and may just stay in that area.

If the cats truly are strays, i.e., feral cats, enlisting the help of the MHS or animal control will be better for the cats than leaving them to fend for themselves. The ferals I've seen are typically thinner with poor and sometimes raggedy coats. If you do plant catnip it will be easier to trap any ferals and allow the MHS to intervene and help these poor animals.

You could also take photos of the cats and post notices on telephone poles seeking to find their owners, who may be looking for their missing cats. And if they aren't strays, the owners at least need to be aware that their cats are wandering and unwelcome in neighbors' yards.

Another option if you can get ahold of them is to give them to a cat rescue group. At least they'll be given another chance for someone to offer them a home.

Lastly, if you live in a subdivision with a homeowners' association, raise the issue at one of the meetings. Perhaps a fine can be levied for those who let their cats roam free, which isn't beneficial for the cats.

There are 8 cats who periodically visit my yard, and none of them appear to be feral. I wonder if CJT's visitors are really feral or just cats whose owners don't take good care of them.

Reeree, do you leave your garage door open? If so, then the cats are going to be tempted to visit. If the door is closed except when entering and exiting the garage, then check for holes where they might be getting in and plug the holes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Mar 29, 2013, 10:13 PM
swschrad
if the cats are truly feral, you will have to call animal control. if you can talk to them gently and get them blinking, which is a cat smile, you can probably open the gate, walk behind them towards it, and gently tell them this is not their yard, that there are others who need the space instead.

this cleared out a neighborhood wanderer that we couldn't get out of the way with anything else, and that was even coming into the house when our cat's back was turned.

believe it or not, cats do understand friendly, if not exactly the King's English at a grad school level.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Mar 30, 2013, 03:41 PM
cjt
These are truly stray cats.I have contacted animal control and all they will do is to trap them take them to the local humane society have them fixed then they said they must return them to the area.
Mar 31, 2013, 01:13 PM
GardenSprite
quote:
Originally posted by cjt:
These are truly stray cats.I have contacted animal control and all they will do is to trap them take them to the local humane society have them fixed then they said they must return them to the area.

CJT, I'm sorry and really surprised to learn of this position of the local animal control.

I'm wondering why there are so many stray cats. Are you close to an urban area where there's a lot of vacant property and/or abandoned houses that could provide refuge?

You stated the position of the local animal control. Have you contacted the Michigan Humane Society? I don't know where you are in Michigan but the MHS has offices and facilities in the SE Michigan area in several locations. Perhaps they might be of some help in offering solutions.

I have a niece who's a Vet tech and active in animal rescue. I'll e-mail her and see if she has any suggestions to help you.
Apr 04, 2013, 10:47 AM
mpotts
There are many plants you can use to repel cats. If you search cat 'deterrents' you will find several sites. One of the best is Alley Cat Allies.

One trick is to sprinkle used coffee grounds around the perimeter. Or citrus peels.
May 05, 2013, 11:16 PM
Doris Elaine
If you have cats running around in your yard and ask animal control to take care of them, here after they are trapped, they will be taken to our local SPCA. Only if we request to have them fixed and returned are they returned. There are goups of rescuers who do this. It is sometimes difficult to identify a feral cat verses stray, or even someone's pet, because some pet cats will run from strangers the same way feral and stray cats do. I feed feral cats here that I trapped and had fixed. We only see them at night. If the cats in your yard are there all day, they might very well be strays or pets. Don't be so fast to punish the cats by injuring them and letting them fend for themselves with injuries. Furthermore, how would you like to live outside hungry all the time? Shooting them is a HORRIBLE THING TO DO!!! It's the cat owners who cause this! Sometimes it's those awful people who drop cats off and many have not even been fixed, so what do you think happens then????? It's the PEOPLES' fault when this problem with cats occurs, don't blame the cats!!! Cats do not like citrus. Perhaps putting orange peels around would help keep them away. I just do not understand why animal control would trap them and bring them back if you tell them you don't want them there. They are to be returned after being fixed only when there's a caregiver available to feed them.