DIY Message Boards
Ideas on transforming old pergola into something southwestern?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8421916776/m/9433916377

Sep 06, 2013, 10:52 AM
Dimples Didi
Ideas on transforming old pergola into something southwestern?
Hey u'all, we recently purchased an older home that needs lots TLC. Former & late owner had landscaped lots of Asian themes for his girl friend and blended it nicely with the Colorado Rockies landscape of his youth. However, We prefer the old west/Southwestern Look of AZ and Oklahoma. Thus, I'm revamping the now-jungle-look of an extensive landscape theme into a new and improved update. Anyone have suggestions on how to turn an elaborate Asian pergola into an American eye catcher?

It's located at one end of our 18x36 foot pool, complete with a small two-tier deck and privacy fence (also in dire need of repairs).

thanks for your creative brainstorming ideas, we appreciate it.
Sep 06, 2013, 06:13 PM
GardenSprite
It would really help if you could post photos of the pergola as well as other areas you want to convert from an Asian style landscape. An Asian style is a very specific and controlled style theme, so the converted pergola should tie in with other aspects, and photos would be of great help.

An AZ/SW look might typically feature large succulents such as agave and cacti. Are these plants which interest you? Gravel and rock are also features, as well as xeriscaping.

And what zone specifically are you located in?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Sep 06, 2013, 11:05 PM
Frodo
a picture would be ver helpfull

Sep 06, 2013, 11:22 PM
Dimples Didi
We live 90 miles south of Oklahoma City. I've got my eye on transplanting a herd (j/k) of wild cactus growing in a nearby field. I plan to merge that with an Apache rock garden and very large Mexican Urn. I like to know how to stain the front deck into old western colored boards (that bluish/gray) and put up those western looking supports, you know the "Y" thing? I'm just learning all about the landscape business, kinda' fun. The property we purchased looks like a rock hound's paradise. We don't even need to buy landscaping supplies because it's all here ... in a chaotic order. I've taken lots of pictures, so I'll try to upload some tomorrow of this poor structure in the back yard, never painted. thanks for your comment, greatly appreciate it.
Sep 08, 2013, 03:48 AM
Frodo
i like your choice of colar...my wife is on me to use it on our porch....honey do list
painting a out door deck is easy...shake paint, stir it real good
apply with a brush or roller. a prefer a 4" brush instead of roller on decks.
paint the edges first...the hard to do stuff. then start at one end and work your way out
Sep 10, 2013, 09:14 PM
Dimples Didi
I've got some great pictures but unfortunately no administrative permission to upload to this forum's website. Can't figure out how to get that either. Help tool is noooo help with contacting administration for permission. Has the principal left the school building? Now what ,,
Sep 10, 2013, 11:27 PM
GardenSprite
DD, you shouldn't have to get permission to upload to the website here. I don't believe others have. What specific steps are you taking?

Have you tried this:

On the toolbar just underneath the title of your post, click on "New", then "Photo Album." A "New Album" box will open up. Choose a name for your album, then click on "Upload Photos" in the lower right hand corner.

This will open a "Select file(s) to upload by boards.diynetwork.com box" directly from your hard drive. Select the file(s) you want. They'll be loaded into the dialog box.

Add a title of the photo, then a caption. Unfortunately, this is as far as I could get; I was unable to load photos although I've done it through this method in the past. Today I just got repeated error messags. There may be some error in the process that didn't exist the last time I tried. And maybe it's just my computer.

Is this the problem you were having? Or were you trying to upload by a different method?

You can also open an album from offsite storage. Many folks use PhotoBucket. Imageshack is another but their site is in some type of beta phase so photos apparently can't be uploaded.

Please post the specific steps you've taken so help can be offered to enable you to post photos.

Sep 10, 2013, 11:41 PM
GardenSprite
I've just found some instructions that might help, copied from a post by Simply_me:

"...take your pictures and then upload them to a Free Site such as www.PhotoBucket.com where you may create a Free Account and Store up to 1Gb of pictures Free. Then post a message here on the DIY Boards and in your message includes links to your pictures at PhotoBucket."

Also, this is a link to posts which have Photobucket in the text; skim through the posts and you'll find various instructions on loading through Photobucket:

http://boards.diynetwork.com/e...reqWords=PHotobucket