DIY Message Boards
Window Well Drainage

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8421916776/m/8633980577

Nov 07, 2013, 02:00 PM
jhunter10
Window Well Drainage
Hi all. I have a window well that has a drain that is functional. The issue is that when water gets into the well it finds its way lower than the drain and behind the drain and ultimately into my basement. I removed all the gravel and disturbed the dirt with a 3 ft long pole, put water on it to turn it into mud to seep down and help fill air gaps and also tamped it down as I best I could. Now the dirt level is about 3 inches below the mouth of the drain pipe and when water enters it stands - it doesn't really drain. Is that the goal or should the water drain leech out into the ground? I was going to put more compacted dirt up to the mouth of the drain then gravel for a couple more inches above the drain. Is this the proper way to do it? I want to prevent water from getting in before I finish the basement. I am also addressing the issue of water getting into the well in the first place. Is there any other material I could consider instead of dirt to make sure all the water funnels into the drain? Thanks in advance and if you need more info please let me know.
Nov 08, 2013, 12:15 PM
swschrad
if you have a connected drain that works, you need to insure the water goes into the drain, not the soil.

to that end, reslope the dirt in the well so the drain is at the lowest point, then put down plastic over the dirt. put rocks over the plastic. if a few fall over the perforated drain cover, no harm.

one would hope that if the drain jams up, the dirt will be lower than the window, or water will come in. creative sloping, so as a last resort the water goes to a rock pit (French drain) at the far edge of the window well before it hits the window would help with this.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Nov 08, 2013, 02:09 PM
jhunter10
Thank you for the response. I just went and bought more topsoil and some Oatey 40 mil shower pan liner that I will cut out and slope so that it feeds into the drain as you suggest. I am going to have to cover the drain with some window screen and a hose clamp because the top is chipped/cracked (it is the original tile drain pipe) and I couldn't find anything pre-made that would fit it correctly. Thanks again for the input - I thought the water was supposed to drain into the soil and only go in the pipe when the window took on a lot of water. Now all of it will go down the drain pipe.