All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Landscaping & Gardening    Drainage System
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Drainage System Sign In/Join 
        posted
        First time poster. Thanks in advance.

Looking to install a drainage system in my backyard. Going 18 inches down, 3-4 inches of rock, pipe, rock. Also installing catch basins under 3 different downspouts and in two other locations middle of the yard to collect neighbors water (his house slopes into my yard).

I really want to go with solid pipe, as I think it is probably less prone to clogging, however I do like the idea of perforated pipe catching water the basins dont grab.

Would like any help/suggestions on what to use.

Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        drainage piping fabric, and a pea gravel bed ought to do you right....
        where is it draining to? is it daylighting?

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The holes face down BTW. A fabric cover over the perforated black pipe is strongly recommended.

Your pipe needs to run to daylight for it to work, or you need a very large stone pit for the water to drain into if it stays below grade. Clay soil is very slow draining if it doesn't run to daylight the pipes will fill up. One of my drain lines got clogged by roots at the end. I have a very neat waterlogged mound in my backyard when the pipe got full of water.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 890 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        before digging up the yard and running pipe
        do a derc test.....

how to perc test
        then you will know if your perf pipe will drain or not

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Drainage System

Drainage System should be a concern for those who have hardscaped backyards. The Drainage System perfect for this kind of terrace usually involves pipes components that run within the hardscaped area and along the patio's flooring surfaces.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SpaPartsPlace
        posted Hide Post
        New to this forum.
        If you are planning on installing a well planned drainage system in the backyard, it often benefits to call on the services of a professional who is able to inspect your landscape drainage problems and determine the best course of action to take.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by SpaPartsPlace:
        New to this forum.

Since you're new, be sure to read the TOS, which include "no advertising is allowed."

Your screen name is a commercial entity, you've dredged up an old post that's already been answered, so you have more than just a hint of a spammer. We don't like spammers.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Ah, but he didn't post a link.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 890 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Sparky, his screen name is his website name, in lieu of a link I suppose. Maybe this is a new way of getting publicity without actually posting a link.

I googled it; there is such a website but Norton flags it with a question mark for security.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post