All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Landscaping & Gardening    lillies in the pond
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

lillies in the pond Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Frodo
        posted
        i have a 1 acre pond with lillies growing in it
        like a 15' band around the edger. i want to get rid of the plants. but do not want to harm the bass or catfish. or the birds that hang out. i do not feel comfirtable using poison
        i was thinking of putting koi in the pond with a solar aeriater .
        i do not know squat about a pond, any advice would be welcome
        http://i1357.photobucket.com/a...0555.jpg[/IMG][/url]

http://i1357.photobucket.com/a...ictures/P6300555.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        The second paragraph of this article provides concise information about water lilies and their benefit to the pond ecosystem:

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plan...ex/white-water-lily/

Do you feel that they're choking the pond? And not to question your ID of them as water lilies, but typically there's a significant amount of green foliage but what I see is a large mass of whitish materials, even when I enlarged the photo significantly. Is it possible they're not water lilies?

There are some photos of water lily masses here, and they do show the foliage:

Water lily photos

This might help in a reverse sense in that it advises how to keep koi from eating water lilies. So it sounds like putting koi in the pond would help to eradicate the lilies, but you'd probably need a lot of koi given the size of your lily garden.

http://www.rosepond.com/ArticleKoiPlants.htm

I haven't found anything yet on interactions between koi, bass and catfish, so I don't know if they're compatible living together.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        they are the litle round green lilly looking plant with the slit in the pad...i dont know a lilly from a bumble bee. i have been told they are lillys.
        the lilly pad is giving me fits when i cast out to bassfish' they gotta go..i have read that a mas like this is caused by to much nutrient in the water/ground. i have wadded out with a garden rake and pulled up some of the roots. to make a "path" thru it...a week later all was in vein..

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        From your description it does sound as if they're lily pads. But could you get a closer photo, even a real close close-up?

I keep wondering if they're something else - I've just never seen that much of a whitish mass in lily pad formations. Your pond looks like it has some kind of algae bloom or something other than lilies.

I'm also surprised that they're returning so quickly after being raked. Has the pond been like this for some time, or is this recent? Is the pond in any area of fertilizer runoff? This is a natural and not manmade pond, right?

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i think the return of the lillys so soon is more a result of floating around than growing back. the picture shows the mass in the middle of pond. but it is on the primeter now with the middle clear. i will post a close up next week.
        history of pond is its wifes family land.
        ole man ward, stocked it with catfish, back in the day. then he would drain the pond and harvest fish. refill and restock. he passed. pond sat for more than 10 years with nobody looking at it. then here i come.....bush hogging a trail up to the pond, and around it. i have scene big bass breach the surface and eat dragoon flies, and catfish come to the surface and feed. i have gotten a hook wet. but the lillys snags my line. making fishing frustrating. so the lillys gotta go. i have been wading in the water with a rake pulling up the plants. chemicals...in my opinion are not an option. gotta be a more responsible way to clean it up.
        with out killing the fish or hurting the egret and ducks...1 resident egret and 2 ducks,

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Maybe I'm looking at the wrong section of the photo. It appeared that the middle was clear but the perimeter was clogged with a mass of something, which didn't look like a typical water lily growth. Is the mass about which you're concerned in the middle of the pond in the photo, or is it the lighter colored stuff closer to the perimeter?

I would certainly agree that chemicals aren't an option to remove the lilies, especially since there may be some reason why that mass, if it is liles, is so thick and solid. And if so, you'll need to address the underlying cause first.

Lilies will grow together but you can still see the outlines of the pads. In addition, I don't see any flowers at all that look like lilies.

I don't really have a lot of knowledge about pond ecosystem balance, Frown so what I'll do when you post more photos is ask someone on the gardening forum I visit who knows just about everything there is to know on gardening, chemical balances and science. With your permission, I'll link to your photos so he can offer some advice.

I might also be able to find a pond or aquatic plant forum that might be more specific to your questions. I'm kind of at the limits of my knowledge here, and I don't have much experience with pond architecture or plants. Confused

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        the lilly pad saga continues, this week i called the county extension office...and i love living in a small town...called his office, the girl said he wasnt there. he was out in the field. so i said i will call back. she said, you want his cell #...like that would happen in a big town..I said yes..i called keith and asked if he wanted to talk about pond water...he said he just ate, but ok..i explained my pond. his answer was..where you at? i can be there in 10 minutes...try that kinda service in a big town !!!
        he stopped by the house and picked me up. we went down the street. got out and walked to the pond
        water shields is what you have...and a fine pond full.. they wont hurt the fish but make it darn near imposible to fish. i said thats why they gotta go..he told me what to use and how much, and where to get it. then we went to my place.. he saw my tomatoes and schooled me on them also...awsome day
        awsome county extension agent..

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Glad the mystery is solved! I checked water shields and learned it's just another name for water lilies. So you were right after all.

Just out of curiosity, what did he suggest to eliminate them?

In a larger county, you'd have to take the lily pads to the county extension agent's office. I've never heard of any of them making house (or rather) pond calls. Big Grin

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        use 2-4-D amine
        AT 1% SOLUTION 1 1/4 OZ PER 1 GALLON With 1/4 % surfactant
        use dawn dish soap as surfactant
        then treat pond with 0-46-0 fert to feed pond [/url]waterr lilly

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        You know, there's another option besides the weed killer recommended:

1. Find a local garden club, contact them and ask them if any of the members would like some free water lilies.

2. Research to determine if there's a garden club in your area that specifically does water gardening.

3. Contact a display garden, inquire if they have water gardens, and offer your lilies.

4. Put an ad in Craigs List. You may actually get some gardeners who are crazy like me and would wade out into the pond to get the free lilies.

Park your vicious looking riding mower nearby to scare anyone who might have evil intents.

I just wouldn't want to eat any fish from a pond that's been subject to any weed killer.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        got the stuff to eradacate the lillys and the 0-46-0 to feed it afterwards...gonna start this week

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        got a chance to fish around the lillys,

[URL=[IMG]http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q759/41frodos/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20EDNA-PC/gunboard%20pictures/th_PA080828.jpg[/IMG]]bass[/URL]

posted Hide Post
        don't know if I'd want to eat those bass with all those chemicals in the water. You might morph into Quasimoto

Posts: 2584 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i have my doubts as well, as for now.its catch and release. i am being told by the chemical co. and the county extension office that the solution i am using is not harmful.. neither was agent orange!,
        so for now, catch and release. let the little guys turn into big guys. and get em next year

it was a gass, catching them. i went to the pond with a single lure, not planing on catching anything. just going to have fun. the first cast..BAM..got a 6" bass...threw him back..the 2nd cast..BAM..got the one in the picture. 3rd cast. got another...then it quieted down. all i got was 5 strikes..in 2 hours.going to regroup on the bait i am using and go back this weekend..
        any bait suggestions? i am using zoom silicone lizards from wally world

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by nona:
        You might morph into Quasimoto

Hahahahahaha! Or he might get cancer; that's worse. Frown

Frodo, I wouldn't believe anything anyone representing a chemical company told me if they claim the chemicals are safe. But then I'm opposed to the use of chemicals on wildlife, land, food and people anyway.

If you want to check out the chemicals in the insecticide, the Environmental Working Group offers good information.

http://www.ewg.org/

Their pesticide section might be the best place to start.

http://www.ewg.org/key-issues/toxics/pesticides

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        ist site wanted me to sign up, without even a howdy do..so i left
        2nd site was full of good info. thanks

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        after weeks of spraying diluted weed killer..little here little there..under the supervision of the county extension office..i have managed to kill the weeds with out killing the wildlife....click here...

posted Hide Post
        good job! did you kiss 'em before you tossed 'em back, make friends for later?

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        The pond looks quite a bit different now that the lilies are gone. Glad the wildlife didn't suffer.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        the fish are doing fine,,i have been feeding the little rascals
        1/2 gallon to a gallon of floating fish food a day..
        they know me..or rather the sound of a 4 wheeler. when i drive up. there all waiting...then when you throw the food. the little ones get chased by the big ones..and a feeding frenzy is at hand.
        i throw a baited hook out with the food.and catch and release.
        gonna be some fine eatting next year about this time