All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Landscaping & Gardening    killing garden ants
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

killing garden ants Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Years ago you could get a chemical called chlordane that you could mix with water and spray your yard to get rid of ants. It was quite good but soon banned and diazinon replaced it also to be banned. Does anyone know of an acceptable insecticide that I can spray in my yard that will kill the ants and remain in the soil for a while before becoming inert ?

Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i am currently at war with the little buggers. i am using boric acid. cat food and peach jelly seems to be working but it is an ongoing campaign. i mix 1 can of cat food. salmon and chicken, with 4 tablespoons of boric acid and 1/4 cup jelly. i find the little trails the sneaky little ants use when they forage for food. and i leave them a dollup of my ant food. they take it back to the queen and give her a surprise. i folluw up with a healthy dose of ortho eliminator fire ant mound killer plus granuales 2 bought at local wally world the next day. water it in real good. this is done in the am. couple of days later. a new mound in a new area gets the same treatment. the war with ants is like the war in the middle east. it goes on and on with no end in site

i have heard the best way to treat your yard is to use a fertaliser spreader and treat the whole yard with ortho, water it in good. or do it just before a rain. the granuales are water activated do in the am

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Nona, are these little garden ants or the larger carpenters? I have a feeling your yard is very neat so there are no wood piles or anything similar to provide shelter?

I've had the best success with borax and sugar, better than with the chemicals I tried for the indoor carpenter ants. The formula was 1 c warm water with 1/2 c sugar and 2 T of borax. I did spray it, but after a day or so it begins to settle and the mixture coagulates around the bottom of the spray bottle.

I don't know how long or if it remains inert in the soil, though. I wouldn't use it on your tomatoes either. I assume you're not using grass clippings in compost for your tomatoes?

Are you having a dry spell in your area? If so, put a water bowl out by the borax and sugar mix to lure them in.

Frodo's mixture with jelly is good also because it includes a sweetener that the ants like.

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        if you want to use boric acid..the hardware store has it under the name roach proof 98% boric acid
        i pd $6.75 for a box of it they have added a blue color to it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Nona, I checked comments made in response to a post I made on another (women's) forum several months ago and offer these for consideration. They are "women's solutions", though, so they're on the less aggressive side.

Sprinkle talcum powder on the nest opening and around it. Same with baking soda. There's enough abrasive material in the soda that they won't cross it. Salt is abrasive but I haven't tried that.

There's still the issue of whether they can escape through tunnels to another ant hill.

Pour boiling water into the nests.

Use strong smelling herbs such as mint and basil. Chili powder and cinammon have also been tried. I think the chili powder would be more effective than the herbs.

Personally I haven't found cinammon or mint to be that effective.

Birds. If you have a bird feeder, perhaps placing it close to an ant hill might alert them to additional avian delicacies.

I found 20 mule team borax at a Kroger's supermarket, then added sugar and warm water. That worked best for me, but the ants indoors that this solution killed were concentrated around the kitchen window, not spread out as they would be outside.

Good luck. It's always amazed me that humans have such brain power and can accomplish so many things yet we can't get rid of ants.

posted Hide Post
        no they're not carpenter ants. These are about 1/4 to 5/16 long and do not seem to have visible nests. I tried to follow one that had a small bug in its jaw, figuring it would take it to its nest, but the ant was smarter than I and led me on a wild goose chase until I gave up. You could hear it laughing from 15 ft. away.
        That's why I would rather find a drench killer so I could shotgun the whole yard

Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        http://www.domyownpestcontrol....treatments-a-19.html
        nona
        found this out wondering around, thought it belonged to you

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i saw on tv, that ants will not cross a chalk line
        to draw a circle around cat/dog food bowl.
        does it work? the ants used the chalk line as a conga line !!!! ba ba ba ba bab ah ba ba ba ba bah ah !!! then sat down down to a nice friskies dinner
        !!!!!

posted Hide Post
        these are not fire ants, and as I said, there are no visible nests. Who the heck knows where they're living

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by nona:

I tried to follow one that had a small bug in its jaw, figuring it would take it to its nest, but the ant was smarter than I and led me on a wild goose chase until I gave up. You could hear it laughing from 15 ft. away.

Arrogant little things, aren't they? My indoor ones used to try that too.

Sometimes you just have to get really tough with them and use whatever works.

Frodo, I think if ants won't cross a chalk line it must be because of whatever abrasive material is in the chalk. Unfortunately, yours apparently decided to party.

Interesting species, these laughing and partying ants.