All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Landscaping & Gardening    Push mower problem
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Push mower problem Sign In/Join 
        Picture of fuzzypeach
        posted
        I'm posting this question here because it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. Our Toro mower was due an oil change (actually was running okay but it was time). My son changed the oil & air filter. Now the mower is barely starting & will not rev up. Our neighbor suggested that the spark plug might need to be changed (I didn't think so) so my son put a new one it. Still running the same. Does anyone have any suggestions what might be wrong? The mower is less than 3 years old. Many thanks & have a groovy day!

"Your work is only as good as your concentra...hey look! A cloud shaped like Snoopy!"

Posts: 1840 | Location: Minneola, Florida | Registered: May 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Either:

1. While changing everything, he moved the throttle cable so that it is not opening all the way. Try just moving the throttle directly on the side of the carb to see if you can make it run better.

2. Since the air filter was off, possible that some crud god into the carb. If you can drain or take off the bowl on the bottom of the carb and clean may help.

3. It's also possible that he may have tipped it over and got some oil past the piston into the cylinder, causing the plug to foul. But, changing the spark plug should have taken care of that.

Jaybee

Posts: 10130 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of fuzzypeach
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee! I'll show the suggestions to him.

"Your work is only as good as your concentra...hey look! A cloud shaped like Snoopy!"

Posts: 1840 | Location: Minneola, Florida | Registered: May 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Do you still have your manual? Sometimes there's a troubleshooting section at the end with suggestions for attempting to solve various problems.

Posts: 1740 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        if you can't find your owners manual copy the model number and the serial number go to the Toro web site and download the manual. you also will find a page with the proper parts for the unit. THE SPARK PLUGS CAN BE TRICKY.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        several small engine manuals for mowers, blowers, and the like, and I am thinking especially of Briggs and Stratton now, say if you turn the motor a certain way, you get oil up in the combustion chamber and it's not going to run well. pull the rope 10 times and then change the plug and see what happens.

also get a little solvent in a metal pail and rinse out the air filter.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5494 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        See if the engine will run when the throttle is at a higher rpm than at idle, if it does, then readjust the idle mixture and speed as per the manual
        If it still runs the same at higher rpm and at idle, remove the filter and try starting it.
        If it runs better get a different filter,
        I believe he might have moved the idle speed / mixture screws accidentally

Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        yeah....when i was 15, i would sabatage the lawnmower to....cant mow it wont start!!!

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        At least 90% of the time the cause is the effects of ethanol fuel.
        It gels up, destroys fuel lines, soaks up moisture like a sponge.
        The moisture in the carburetor causes corrosion.
        Best fix is to remove the carburetor and take it all apart and clean it with carburetor cleaner.
        I'd bet once you remove the bowl your going to find water and rust in it.
        Run nonethanol fuel (yes it's available) or at least add an additive to counter act the effects of it. Stabilizer will not do it. There's dozens of different brands. Your local power equipment shop, Wal-Mart, auto parts store will have it.

joecaption

Posts: 17995 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        another thing i have found out
        STORY TIME!!!!
        old man close to here, has a saw shop. he fixs chain saws and weed eatters and such...my weedeatter was working good..i was just happy as a lark, cutting around the house.then i shut it off. drank a glass of tea and took a break. when i went to go back to work.RUT ROO..wont start, tried and tried. wont start
        i took it to the saw man..he looked at it..pulled the cord, said forget thats there! i said forget what? he said that thing..pointed to the primer bulb..he said dont use it, forget its there
        it floods the carberator...then, he took the spark plug out, blew compressed air into the cylinder. put the plug back in..and pulled the cord..cranked right up.
        he handed it to me..said, forget its there..
        i asked what i owed..he said nothen, didn't do nothen

moral of the story..forget thats there
        do not use the primer bulb, so you gotta pull the cord 3 more times...
        hes how you do it
        set the choke to full...pull cord
        when it BURBS
        set choke to 1/2 choke
        when it starts...let it run till warms up
        then switch choke to run
        if you do it that way...no problems

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post