All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Landscaping & Gardening    French drain dilemma
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

French drain dilemma Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I can only add very little to the massive amounts of excellent advise from above.

The pond guy: Why isn't it the pond guys responsibility to contain the water from his pond? I don't know if you are on good terms with him (I guess if not it would make for the 'neighbor from Hell trifecta) but it would seem that as his low-lying pond is the cause of the problem, then it should be up to him to fix it. You seem to be on good terms with the local enforcement people - what do they say about that?

The French drain: A French drain system can only work if it is large enough to collect the water, can be constructed with enough slope to drain and of course - it must have somewhere to drain to. If a drain system is not possible, then how about a wall? Basically a dam constructed between your property and the pond guys. This would keep the water out of your yard and divert it elsewhere - again, making it really the pond guys problem to fix, not anyone who happens to be downstream.

The Monster: Killing her with kindness sounds like a good plan, but it also looks like you've been down that road already. Some neighbors just HAVE to think that they are in charge. They think that everyone will listen to them and most importantly, they think that they are always right. It could be worse - you could be on a message board that has trolls who feel the same way about themselves.
        (Oh Wait! You are there already). Big Grin Still, maybe a friendly effort could work. You could try:

A. Baking brownies
        B. Baking brownies with some added marijuana
        C. Baking brownies with chocolate Exlax

All depends on the response you'd like to get.

Really though, If it were me I'd start by finding out why the pond guy is not taking care of his problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10132 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by GardenSprite:

You might also have a small pocket tape recorder that you can flip on before continuing the conversation. I don't know if it would be admissible in court; tape recorded phone conversations must be announced first but I'm unsure about face to face ones.

off subject. i was working up in teleuride colorado
        on a 4 story office/ski lodge/condo building at the foot of lift # 1 [yeah i did that}
        the builder on the job would ask me to preform work that was not in my scope of duties. and say we will take care of the back charge later, i need to get this done today. i would of course oblige the superintendent in a cheerfull maner and "get er done" then the time for the paper work would come. he said "i didnt authorise that. we not paying for that.
        so i bought a small voice activated tape recorder
        caught him in a lie. made him pay.
        he would jokingly tape my pocket when he would talk to me after that..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hahahaha! You guys are awesome! Big Grin

I'm going to read all the posts a bit better tomorrow because we just came in from cleaning the back and doing lots of outside stuff today. Ugh! Ready to fall on my face! I uncovered a drain under the dead brush and leaves but I don't think it's made... But still ends well onto my property. I'm not sure if its coming off the pond guys or #2. Will get pics on soon. Thanks so much to all of you for being here and being you! So nice to have others with such good dispositions. I truly love that.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        uncover the drain, pull out the leaves and muck
        find a smoke bomb at local fireworks stand or go to plumbing supply house and tell them you need a peppermint smoke bomb to find the end of a drain
        put smoke in pipe, cover the pipe with a board or whatever works for you and see where the smoke comes out at...end of drain.
        if no smoke bomb available, burn leaves and use a fan to blow smoke into pipe opening. this method is crude and works 50% of the time

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Drainage channel coming from bordering property to our property. And some type of drain set up on neighbor 2's property?

http://i1084.photobucket.com/a...hari5061/null-11.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/a...hari5061/null-13.jpg

We live in Northeast Ohio. Neighbor #2 according to a township official "Nearly killed the elderly lady in poor health who lived here prior to us." He tried to sue her for water issues and yelled and bullied her through the trees almost daily.
        I have to say I feel most of the blame in all of this lies on monster lady. She told #2 a lie and made him a hammer. When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

posted Hide Post
        Audio recording with giving a heads up is illegal in Ohio (right to reasonable assumption of privacy) ....Video recording without audio recording is allowed. You can audio record a phone conversation without a heads up.

posted Hide Post
        Hi Pinkslobbermonkey,

I've examined the pictures and noted that it is difficult to see the drain in the picture listed below unless it is hidden in the center of the picture behind some dead weeds just below the line you've strung to show the property line.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/a...hari5061/null-11.jpg

Another thing worth mentioning is that I noticed that you don't have a date stamp embedded in the picture. If your camera has such a feature that can be switched on and off, I would recommend that you turn it on for such features, so that you have record of such features that you are finding.

As I'm sure you beginning to become aware, the property where these drains originate are emptying onto your property and as such may give you rights to have them removed or dealt with where they do not empty into your property and downgrade it. They may be illegal. Some checking with county records and having them inspected by their departments would clarify what should happen.

Now enough of this. You've worked hard today and made some interesting discoveries. Now take the rest of the day to relax and enjoy some special time with your husband and others you hold most dear. It is Mother's Day so allow your husband and family to treat you royally. Smile

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        PSM, re the drain that ends on your property: there SHOULD be an easement for that - to the best of my knowledge, someone can't just construct a drain and channel water to your property. I don't mean to beat this issue to death, but easements should be recorded, and it should be reflected in title work. It may be the way things have been done in the past, but it's not proper and to the best of my knowledge DOES NOT convey or establish any rights without a properly recorded easement.

As Simply Me states, you may have legal recourse on this issue, especially if your property has been treated for years as the dumping ground for the excess water. It's beginning to sound as if this is the case.

There may be another recourse in terms of cleaning up the adjacent pond. I'm guessing that all that standing water is going to breed mosquitoes. I believe mosquito abatement falls under the jurisdiction of a public health department. Their staff may be able to demand some action to dry out the pond area, especially if it's not truly designated as a wetland area, in which case it could be considered a health hazard.

Jaybee makes a good point as the Pond Guy's responsibility. I think this should be investigated as well. Perhaps that's why he's being so nice - he may have constructed an illegal drain and doesn't want you to figure this out and take action against him.

A wall is another realistic option, especially if you can bring it around to block out the Monster Lady and the other meddling neighbor.

The "drain" in the first photo of today's message...I'm certainly no expert on drains but that looks to me just like a big, very muddy and dangerous hole. I wouldn't be comfortable getting too close to it; it doesn't look stable.

The brownie remedy - I worked at a law firm where someone once chose Option C for a lawyer who was munching from others' lunches. The anonymous person just got tired of finding his/her lunch basically gone with a few crumbs left.

I'm getting lost with the neighbors. Is #2 the grouchy guy who threatened to sue you? He's the one who hassled your seller? Are you sure he's not the brother or alter ego of the Monster Lady? I suspect that's why the seller decided to move. Maybe that was the goal - hassle whoever owns your property to keep them intimidated and prevent action on what appears to be a hodgepodge drain "system".

This whole scenario is beginning to resemble a TV show plot.

I like your analogy to a hammer.

I'm a bit confused on the issue of audio recording over a phone. My understanding is that it's prohibited by federal law, and that an announcement must be made prior to the recording of a phone conversation. Maybe I'm thinking from the standpoint of admissibility as evidence in court.

And from me you're quite welcome as to the advice. It's heartwarming to provide it to someone who actually listens and appreciates it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post