All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Landscaping & Gardening    Sprinkler system - zone question
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Sprinkler system - zone question Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We have a sprinkler system with 7 zones and a programmable timer box. The sprinklers in our "Zone 1" continue to run when the timer switches to "Zone 2" or 3 or any of the other zones. As long as the sprinkler system is running for any zone, the three sprinkler heads in "Zone 1" keep shooting out water too. We just installed a new timer box, thinking that might be the problem (it was acting wonky in other ways as well). The other issues we had with the system were fixed, but not this issue with the "Zone 1" sprinklers not knowing when to stop. Any ideas for us? Many thanks!

Posts: 93 | Registered: Jun 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        wiring to the valve? I'd start with a 12 or 24 volt bulb wired in parallel with the zone 1 valve. if it stays on all the time anything is being watered, there is a system wiring error in the field, perhaps the valve bein in series with a common wire. otherwise, the valve needs replacement, it's sticking.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5724 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        you have a wiring clitch. gotta have.
        sprinkler zone valves are a single valve that is 24 volts. with a wire going back to the zone valve timer box. if 2 are coming on at the same time. and shutting off at the same time. when you replaced the timer control
        you hooked it up the same way you found it. so the

problem is the same
        dig up the wires at the timer control area. and Physically trace the wires to the timmer.
        your going to find two wires hooked together.

altho i usually agree with my buddy swschrad, i have to disagree about a bad valve
        if a bad valve the water would stay on..because it is shutting off.. the problem is in the control wiring
        in my humble opinion

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post