All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Landscaping & Gardening    Breaking up a concrete step
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Breaking up a concrete step Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        Does anyone have any suggestions for breaking up a step that formerly was part of the front steps?

I saved one of the old steps years ago when I had them replaced, put it in the garden with the plan to build elevated beds around it and tuck it into the garden in a little nook, but I'm thinking now that I want to just get rid of it.

It's much too heavy for me to haul myself, so I'm wondering what I could use to break it up?

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        hello sprite!!!!!
        go to the local rental store and get a "chipping" hammer. its a small version of a big ole jack hammer
        start on one end and work your way to the other
        dont push down hard, let the machine do the work
        wear ear plugs and eye protection, leather gloves
        stop by home depot and pick up a day laborer,
        there usually out there around 7am..

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        How about the blister end of a sledgie? Just kidding of course.
        Way back in the dark ages my summer task was to break up a leaning walk way wall at the house. What a chore for a silly little kid. My grandpa stopped after work and set me quickly straight. By placing the larger broken slabs on a ledge a quick blow by the sledgie cracked those large pieces down to size.
        Oh yea, my pap was an anthracite coal miner most of his working life. Knew a bit about busting out a days worth of work for a paycheck.
        Good luck with your project. Big Grin

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1392 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks to you both for the suggestions.

Frodo, I thought of a jack hammer but thought it might be just too heavy for me to use, but if there's a "baby" hammer, that's more my style! Smile

(And hello to you too!)

Sounds like the action is more to hold the hammer, guide it and let it do the work rather than to press down. I learned a lesson the hard way when I used an attachment (the name of which I can't remember right now) on my drill to scrape rust off the garage door and front porch railing and ended up with some pretty sore muscles. Frown

CS, I do have a sledge hammer and had actually thought of it. I was thinking if I could find some little cracks or holes I could use them as wedges. I've got a splitting wedge as well which I've used to split wood and destroy tree trunks.

Remembering summer projects does take one back in time, doesn't it? I remember when we had to help my father finish reroofing the cottage we rented out. We couldn't go swimming until the roof was done. And it was hot, hot and hot that day. That was when I was 16. I don't do roofs any more! (But back then I didn't have a choice.)

Good suggestion from your grandfather. Use empty space beneath a piece and let gravity and the space help remove the chunks. My father taught me that when we were cutting down trees after I first moved into my house, but I never thought of applying it to harder and more rigid substances.

I think mining had to be one of the hardest professions someone could be in - very hard and dangerous work. Kudos to your father for his endurance and stamina.

I'm going to start on this project sometime next week. I'll let you know how it works out.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post