All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Landscaping & Gardening    What Materials are Needed to Raise a Patio
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

What Materials are Needed to Raise a Patio Sign In/Join 
        Picture of VM21
        posted
        Hello fellow DIYers!
        I am trying to take on my own patio project. I have read many instructions for how to install a normal patio which are very helpful but I am struggling with by quest to get instructions on how to install a raised patio. I want a patio that comes up to my back sliding glass window which would put the patio at 2'11" high. I was planning to use concrete blocks to build up the surrounding but what would I fill the inside with in order to assure that the floor doesnt sink in? Also is there some sort of drainage needed to be put inside the filling for the patio?

HELP! :-{

Thanks!!

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Got a picture?
        Keep in mind that patio needs to be at least 6" below any door openings.
        For one raised that high your going to need footings set below the frost level in you area.

joecaption

Posts: 17987 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi VM21,

Follow joecaption's advice regarding keeping the patio at least 6" lower than any door openings. This would also include keeping it 6" below any siding or brick veneer you may have on your home so that water doesn't penetrate the walls of your home and rot out any structural support members.

You might wish to use Google and do a search using the following:

how to build a raised patio

This will bring up sites whereby you will find step by step instructions to build such a patio. You will also find some videos that may be of help. There is also a site which states what not to do.

In addition though some of the sites deal with brick patios similar steps and preparation are needed whether you lay brick, patio stones, flagstone, etc.

After reviewing some of these sites, you will form a general idea of what you need to do. Once you have that in mind, you might wish to return here to ask specific questions to further define what you need to do for your particular case.

To make it easier for others to assist you when you have made some decisions, you might post several pictures of the area you plan to use for this project and ask your questions. It will make it easier for others to offer guidance based on your specific situation. As the old saying goes, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Be aware that pictures posted here on the DIY Boards must be no larger than 100Kb or they can not be posted. If pictures are too large post then use a free site such as PhotoBucket.com and post links of your pictures there in your post here. Those that assist you will be able to view them and offer you the guidance based on your specific needs.

These are just some thoughts for you to consider.

Good Luck!

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of VM21
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Joecaption!

Thank you for your help! Here is a link to a pic of the back sliding glass door.

http://s1366.photobucket.com/u...zps6726f490.jpg.html

The pic was too big to attach. :-{ Any suggestions on what filling to use?

Thanks again!!

Picture of VM21
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Simply_Me!!

Thank you for your suggestions!!! I have been googling and you-tubing how to build/install a raised patio but I was thinking there would be some other kind of more tough/stable filling needed other than rocks and sand being that it would come to about 2' high. I used your suggestion for using photobook to upload a picture becuase it was over 100Kb. I posted it in my reply to joecaption. Hopefully, it helps.

Thanks again!!

posted Hide Post
        How about a free standing deck not attached to the structure, with steps leading down to a patio??

Posts: 870 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi VM21,

From your picture I see that you have a brick veneer below the siding on the face of the foundation.

What type of foundation is behind that brick?

If is a poured concrete wall or a block wall on the interior which ends at the siding, it would be fine to build a raised patio. In addition it would appear the wood structural members (sill plate, headers, and floor joists) would begin just below the siding. With this in mind your raised patio should be no higher than 6" below the siding. This is to prevent water and the elements from infiltrating through the brick and causing water damage that leads to wood rot in any wood structural members behind the brick.

If wood structural members begin lower than at the siding, building a raised patio will needed to be adjusted in height to be at least 6" lower than any wooden structural members behind the brick otherwise you may have issues much later which would be costly to repair.

From what I have stated check the basement or crawl space in this area to help determine how high the raised patio could be based on what has been stated.

You also don't state where you are located. As previously posted by others you will need to create a footer foundation for the outside wall of the raised patio. This footer should be below the depth where frost penetrates in your area. If there is no frost in your area the footer could be 1 to 2' below grade. This is the reason for asking where you are located.

These are some thoughts to consider.

Good Luck!

Picture of VM21
        posted Hide Post
        Hi re_mdlr
        Thanks for your post but not what I want.

posted Hide Post
        Rather than plain concrete blocks I would do something like this: http://www.hometime.com/Howto/...cts/retain/rtn_1.htm

The inside can be filled with crusher run (a mix of crushed stone and stone dust) that is compacted in 6" layers. Put in 6" compact it, put in 6" more inches, compact, repeat. Then I would use use concrete pavers for the patio surface. This is real work but it is DIY possible for reasonably fit people.

You will of course want to follow the advice with regards to the distance below wood framing and your patio door.

http://www.hometime.com/Howto/.../patios/patios_1.htm

You want this patio to drain away from the house. Some water will go into the base but most of it should flow off of the patio.

The key to making this work is to properly prepare your base by removing topsoil and getting down to a solid base. Then proper compaction of the crusher run is essential. You can rent a plate compactor at your local rental store. You'll need it to compact the base and to compact the pavers into the base.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 606 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of VM21
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Sparky617

THANK U SOOOOOOO MUCH for your advice!! You are the best!

Picture of beast2
        posted Hide Post
        i am also planning a raised patio with almost the same conditions but i have a poured concrete about 30 years old in the area where i would like the raised patio ...do i need to remove this first or can i build off of it?Thanks

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        beast2 you need to go back and add your own post not try and hijak someone elses. To confusing.
        Also post some pictures so we can see what your seeing.

joecaption

Posts: 17987 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of beast2
        posted Hide Post
        sorry dude just figured it was asking the same question .....

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi beast2,

Do not be offended by joecaption's comment, though it may seem a bit sharp to you. Basically he is just trying to assist you in proper etiquette here. To you it may appear that he is a bit abrupt, though just realize that joecaption is one who usually uses as few words as possible to get his idea across whenever he posts and he has a wealth of knowledge in many areas that he shares freely here on the DIY Boards.

Though your question is similar to VM21's, it is best that your create a NEW Post under this same category and post your question for assistance there rather than piggy back onto VM21's post for assistance. This is because it can get difficult to separate VM21's need for assistance and comments that are meant for that individual from those you might get. Mixing 2 different queries for assistance in one post is a no no in most Boards of this type and it is often made by newbies who are unfamiliar with the Boards and the method to get assistance. So simply relax.

To correct the error, simply click NEW at the top in the same category you are in and then copy and paste your original post and others will gladly assist you in short order.

Good Luck!