All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Landscaping & Gardening    Front Yard Disaster! Please Help!
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Front Yard Disaster! Please Help! Sign In/Join 
        posted Hide Post
        Yes, that is fill dirt that was spread and then left that way. The border of moss rock was supposed to make a wave type pattern going around the trees and end at the tree next to the driveway.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Inside the bordered area they were to fill with black mulch, which they did but, the border isn't complete. Most of the rock that was used is going to have to be removed in order to install the original rock that I paid for or, should I say wanted.

posted Hide Post
        ISo far I have 4 Josee lilacs and 2 Blue Bird Rose of Sharon planted in coffee cans in the back because I feel they are too small to be planted in a permanent place. We have no containers, though. We also have a rake, shovel,etc... Your regular garden tools but, my wife has a bad back, sciatica, and high blood pressure. I don't think it's a good idea for her to be working in the heat like that, not to mention the fact that she couldn't do it all on her own anyway. Not really sure if she could do it at all.

posted Hide Post
        I just got the hedges in the front there back to life by watering the heck out of them but, they were almost dead when he planted them. I hope all of this answers your questions. Thank you so much for listening and for all the help you have given me. I really appreciate it.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Okay, here's what I think.

If your wife agrees with your position that it's not appropriate for her to work, either now or in cooler weather, then there's really not much you can do to change the condition of your yard except allow for passive conditions to improve it, gradually. Some man or womanpower really would be helpful.

There are just a few actions you can take though:

1. The foundation plantings along the front that had to be rescued are too close to each other and to the house. If they were nearly dead when planted, they probably also were root bound. The contractor should have loosened the root ball and spread out the roots, but probably didn't.

It would help to mulch, if your wife could rake the mulch over to the plantings. It would also help to provide water directly to the roots. You can carefully stick a piece of PVC pipe by each shrub and pour water directly down to reach the roots.

Put the pipe outside the shrub's canopy to encourage the roots to grow outward toward the water source. Given what I suspect is pretty compacted and unimproved soil, top watering is only going to encourage the roots to grow upward.

Don't be surprised if some of these start to brown and die though, especially if nothing was done to improve the soil.

2. Put coffee grounds around the shrubs. They'll provide food for earthworms which will help aerate the soil.

3. In the fall save the leaves and use them to mulch the shrubs. Eventually they'll decompose and enhance the soil.

Do the same for the open areas.

4. I was going to suggest using native Texas flowering vines as a substitute for ground cover over the bare area, but the optimal way to do that would be to enhance the soil around several small areas along the perimeter and plant the seeds in selected areas. Then spread out the vines to cover the area like a flowering ground cover. At least it would cover up the bareness.

5. You might be able to accomplish the same faux ground cover effect by planting vine seeds in a coffee can (punch holes in sides for aeration and bottom for drainage).

6. I've read that in the UK seed balls are used. They're a combination of clay, seeds and compost. From what I've read, their use here is somewhat controversial. It might be an option though; you could seed either with grass or vines, and just hope that they fall apart and roots if there's enough rain.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it.

posted Hide Post
        Even if your not religious some churches help those in need.?
        Maybe there's a young relative/neighbor in your area that needs some spending money that doesn't mind helping out.

Posts: 907 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You know,, it's funny. I have lived in this area for a little over 5 years and I know no one. I can't drive and live in an area to where I can take my scooter to the local mini market or gas station. The only time I am able to get out is when we either do the grocery shopping or to one of my Doctor's appointments. I am not trying to get ay
        ny pity and I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me. Because of my situation, I thought I was actually writing to DIY when I made this post, in hopes that they would see it in there hearts to help me out. I am not looking for some extravagant DIY show front yard makeover. Everyone that has posted comments have given me a lot of information and ideas and I am so grateful but, I wasn't lying or exaggerating the fact that I have no money whatsoever. I do't have a savings account and between my wife and I, we literally live paycheck to paycheck. You all have beengreat, though. I didn't realize the support I was going to get by posting my problem on this messageboard. I have even thought about creating a video on Youtube asking people for a donation of only $1. That is all. I am not a greedy person and I hate to ask strangers for help but, I figure that asking for a single dollar from anyone and everyone can't hurt. Just not sure how to share it so the whole internet community would see it. If I could drum up $2,000, I would be golden and my yard would look the way it's supposed to.

posted Hide Post
        Again, look for churches and charities. Also, there are government programs to help people who have a hard time making ends meet.

Check the poverty level in your area, and what the rules are for people who fall on hard times. You may be eligible for public assistance even if one of you work.
        Again, you must do everything you can to help yourself.
        Have you thought about moving to a cheaper area, such as the country side.? No, I'm not trying to be ignorant.

Posts: 907 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Wow. They really robbed you. If you payed them upfront with no invoices that's one big problem. Do you think you can have their name mentioned here - this way people can notice who they are! Going to police and hiring a lawyer won't help because you didn't signed any contract with them.

To make things "green" just take some turf and spread it all over the area. I guess is much better to have green than nothing.

I wish you all the best!
        BobbySmile

Posts: 7 | Location: CA, Los Angeles | Registered: Jul 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I am sorry but, I can't mention the company name. The owner knows that I have been posting my complaints and photos of their professional landscaping of my yard and has contacted me personally. Not that I am afraid of him or anything. I'm just not sure how sue happy he is. After pointing out all of the things that they did so wrong and actually looking at it for himself, he still doesn't take responsibility. After pointing out the things that he didn't do, things that weren't discovered until after spring started, he stands by his work. I don't get it and, well, i've gotten tired of it all and I give up. I would like to thank everyone for their help and comments. There is just nothing more that can be done and He is not going to fix it so I am giving in. I will figure out a way to get it done. I guess if it takes until next year, I will somehow figure it out.