All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Landscaping & Gardening    front yard drainage issue
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

front yard drainage issue Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My front yard slopes to the front of my house. Everytime it rains I have a massive water in front of my house. I do have a small (in height) edger, but last year I could not plant anything because they all got washed away. I do have gutters.
        Any ideas that WON'T cost a lot, or something I can find recycled?

Posts: 1 | Location: ktbryan09@yahoo.com | Registered: Mar 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        What's the reason for the slope toward the house? Has the soil subsided or washed away (partly from the "massive" amounts of rain)? How long has this been occuring - since you bought the house?

I think the more knowledgeable people will tell you about a drainage system. I'll only say that it sounds as if there's a serious problem, and unless that's corrected, it will continue and possibly cause more damage than it already has.

As to planting something, I don't think there's a realistic option as plants that would tolerate so much water are more like bog plants, but they wouldn't fare well when it doesn't rain.

You mention recycled options. Were you thinking of something that would absorb and drain the water, something like a rain barrel in which water could be channeled from the gutter system?

In what part of the country are you located? Are you in a high rain area such as the Pacific NW?

And, a word of caution, don't use your e-mail as your geographic location; in fact, don't post it at all unless you want to leave yourself open to unwanted e-mails, pests and/or spam.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Have you considered terracing the slope with large rocks or those wall blocks they sell at Home Depot and similar stores? Our neighbors just did that, as a DIY project, and the erosion is controlled now and they are able to plant things on the terraces to additionally help with erosion. It looks nice, too. Of course you can hire it out if you don't want to DIY. Anyway, hope you can get that water under control.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post