DIY Message Boards
Share your gardening photos for a chance to win prizes.

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8421916776/m/2393908867

Mar 12, 2013, 11:39 AM
DIYAdmin2
Share your gardening photos for a chance to win prizes.
We’re picking our favorite photos from HGTVGardens and giving out prizes each week. Our Editors’ Pic could be yours! Details here: http://www.hgtvgardens.com/sho...nch_20130308_6207104

DIY Admin2
Mar 12, 2013, 12:34 PM
GardenSprite
I would be very reluctant to share any art work, including photos, given the apparent lack of spam monitoring on this forum as well as the HGTV forum. There have been numerous spammers and trolls on both forums recently and despite repeated reports, apparently nothing is done. These characters continue to post, or change their moniker and post under a different pseudoname.

Some of these spammers and trolls also post material which appears to have been copied ver batim from another source, without copyright credit. These spammers and trolls frequently reflect a nominal command of the English language. Their "comments" and sometimes nonsense posts are inconsistent with the more sophisticated commentaries they post. The most logical way to explain this is that they are copying from other sites without adhering to the intellectual property (IP) laws.

So why would anyone want to share their photos, which can be considered subject to IP rights, on forums which apparently don't enforce these rights and take action against violators?

I use my photos in my art work and have no intention of providing them for free for some spammer or troll to steal.

In addition, your Terms of Use include these conditions:

" ... It is solely your responsibility to monitor and protect any intellectual property rights that you may have in your User Content, and we do not accept any responsibility for same, but you grant us the right to protect and enforce our and our licensees’ licensed rights to your User Content, including, without limitation, by bringing and controlling actions in your name and on your behalf (at our cost and expense, to which you hereby consent and irrevocably appoint us as your attorney-in-fact, with the power of substitution and delegation, which appointment is coupled with an interest). ..."

Are you serious??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Mar 13, 2013, 10:21 AM
Conrad
Good post, Garden Sprite!
Mar 16, 2013, 11:52 AM
GardenSprite
Thanks, Conrad. Sadly, I doubt if this will make any difference to someone who truly wants his/her 15 minutes of cyberfame.
Mar 17, 2013, 08:17 AM
CommonwealthSparky
My garden had 8" of some type of a white flaky powder on it this morning... Big Grin I too would be leery of posting pics.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Mar 17, 2013, 10:53 AM
Conrad
Sparky, do you have cracks in the garden soil?
With all that flaky powder you describe...maybe is has a really bad "crack" habit.:0

Remember back in the day...the mods used remove off topic posts/responses like these?
Mar 17, 2013, 11:12 AM
GardenSprite
Maybe Sparky's soil is spontaneously producing a commodity that some folks pay big bucks to use. Maybe Sparky should set up a website on how to use flaky powder found on soil in winter, post on all the DIY websites, provide a link to his website, and see how many hits he can get?

I too have some strange white stuff on the soil but the sun is gradually making it disappear. Wonder how I can exploit this and start spamming on DIY sites with links to a website so I can get some money to buy garden seeds without actually having to work? Apparently for some people work is the new anathema and activity to be avoided if one can post idiotic advice on DIY sites.
Mar 17, 2013, 01:54 PM
CommonwealthSparky
Odd flake like item disappearing. Photo to follow..

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
May 25, 2013, 05:56 PM
Frodo
quote:
frequently reflect a nominal command of the English language. Their "comments" and sometimes nonsense posts are sophisticated commentaries .

Are you serious??

i resemble that remark
Jun 14, 2013, 01:32 AM
quanghoc
I wonder if the button "Report Post" doesn't do anything good. Never tried though
Jun 14, 2013, 10:33 AM
GardenSprite
Quanghoc, several of us have reported spammers and trolls, many times. Nothing is done. I've e-mailed the webmaster. Nothing is done. And the spammers keep coming, new ones almost on a regular basis.
Sep 21, 2013, 09:26 AM
Frodo
quote:
e

your picture is of a sick plant, looks like to much water.....

ewwwwwwww.....your in trouble!!!!
i'm gonna tell garden sprite....you better pray!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Sep 21, 2013, 11:40 AM
GardenSprite
Frodo,

I heard, I was e-mailed, I was called, and I came and I'm here to offer my expert gardening opinion (laughing myself silly as I think how arrogant this sounds!) Big Grin Big Grin Now, where's my darn Superwoman outfit??

Seriously, if this photo is an example of the poster's ability to solve landscaping problems, I think he/she needs to start school all over again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Sep 21, 2013, 12:47 PM
Conrad
Oh gosh...LOVE that polka dotted variegated variety of plant. PLLEEASSE tell me how to achieve this on my own vegetation???

Water more, and more and more? Introduce plant to friendly fungus? Use a paint brush? I WANT IT!Big Grin
Sep 21, 2013, 03:57 PM
GardenSprite
Conrad, it is quite a lovely combination, isn't it? Lustrous green leaves adorned with variations of fall's rusty color with a touch of black in the center. Wonderful color choice. Let's hope some powdery mildew grows to add a misty touch of white. Maybe some little insects will be attracted to the diseased leaves and begin establishing colonies. Hopefully they'll come in nice fall colors to add to the color pallette.

I think it's actually a special variation of a leaf fungus or leaf blight. Perhaps "Kwikfynd" can, like, share her secrets with you, ya know what I, like, mean?

If you want to create your own fungal blight, yes, you should, like, water, water, water, and also, like, cut off all circulation. Maybe tie a plastic bag over the leaves to keep all the moisture in and create an environment for fungus to thrive.

Or find some rose leaves with black spot, take them and rub them against all the healthy leaves on your plants.

Or, like, maybe you can take your paint brush and paint all your leaves, ya know what I mean? Shouldn't take you more than several weeks!

If you do ask for help on other forums, be sure to use Kwykfynd's youthful vernacular so you can relate on her level.

(And thanks for the very amusing post!)