DIY Message Boards
Finishing a patio after rain?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8421916776/m/2123951177

Jun 08, 2013, 11:17 AM
Saree5
Finishing a patio after rain?
Hello,

My husband and I have started laying a paver patio. We dug out our area, put in wood edging, added our gravel and tamped it down. Then it poured down rain.

The area has drained, but feels a bit soft. We're wondering if we should let it dry more before we add the sand and pavers. Any advice?

Thanks!
Jun 08, 2013, 04:40 PM
GardenSprite
Saree,

I'm certainly not as knowledgeable as many others here on these issues, but I would think it would make sense to wait until the area has dried out before adding the sand and then the pavers. If the area is still wet, some of the sand will absorb the water. And you want a good even base before you eventually lay down the pavers.
Jun 08, 2013, 06:33 PM
Sparky617
Did you remove all the topsoil and get to the clay subsoil? When you say you tamped the gravel down, how did you do this? Did you rent a flat plate taper from the local rental store? If you tamped it by hand, it isn't enough. How deep is your stone base?

http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/...d=0640220&catid=s307

Here is a some good info on paver patios.

http://www.hometime.com/Howto/.../patios/patios_1.htm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Jun 09, 2013, 06:51 AM
joecercone
If it feels soft, chances are that you didn't remove enough topsoil or your base isn't properly compacted. This could lead to problems in the future with settling or heaving, especially if you have freeze-thaw situations.
Jun 09, 2013, 09:23 AM
Sparky617
quote:
Originally posted by joecercone:
If it feels soft, chances are that you didn't remove enough topsoil or your base isn't properly compacted. This could lead to problems in the future with settling or heaving, especially if you have freeze-thaw situations.

My thoughts exactly Joe. But if they compacted it by hand it would be soft. Either way, I doubt the base was prepared properly. The question is, how much work is it to correct? If they did remove all of the topsoil, coming back and properly compacting it won't be a problem. If they didn't, they now have stone to remove to get the topsoil out.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.