DIY Message Boards
Patio arguement

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8421916776/m/1003991277

Jul 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
steel_dragon
Patio arguement
Need a professional to settle a dispute between my wife and I.

I want to build a patio in an area that was previously occupied by an above ground pool. This area is now grown in with weeds and grass. I say that the weeds and grass need to be completely removed and the ground tamped prior to setting stone and sand.

She says no to just lay the stone and sand on top of the well trimmed vegetation.

The ground was dug out for the pool about 5 inches.

Who is right?
Jul 14, 2013, 07:27 AM
Sparky617
It would depend. If you are using large flagstone pieces and you want to have stuff growing up between the stones your wife's plan is OK. If you are looking to install a paver patio and you'd like the pavers to be tight to one another and flat I'd go with your plan. Sand is not a good deep base for a paver patio, it is OK for the top inch or so but you want compacted crusher run (mixed size aggregate with stone dust) as a base, then you can use a layer of sand to allow easier setting of the pavers.

Here is a decent article on the subject:http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/patios/patios_1.htm

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Jul 14, 2013, 04:02 PM
steel_dragon
@ Sparky thank you for the Article I had been looking for something like that and never thought to go to the Hometime page.

Once again thank you,

P.S. My wife thinks she stays at a Holiday Inn Express every night!

LOL!
Jul 14, 2013, 05:18 PM
Sparky617
Hometime's page has a lot of good articles and some decent videos on a variety of subjects. I don't get to see the show anymore, our local PBS station doesn't carry it and none of the commercial stations do either. DIY and/or HGTV could stand to pick it up and put some actual how to back in their schedule.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Jul 15, 2013, 10:04 AM
CommonwealthSparky
quote:
Originally posted by Sparky617:
It would depend. If you are using large flagstone pieces and you want to have stuff growing up between the stones your wife's plan is OK. If you are looking to install a paver patio and you'd like the pavers to be tight to one another and flat I'd go with your plan. Sand is not a good deep base for a paver patio, it is OK for the top inch or so but you want compacted crusher run (mixed size aggregate with stone dust) as a base, then you can use a layer of sand to allow easier setting of the pavers.

Here is a decent article on the subject:http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/patios/patios_1.htm

I second the motion made by Sparky617. Motion passes. Sounds like this way you will only do the work once and be pleased with the results.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...