All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Cabinets not closing properly
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Cabinets not closing properly Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My kitchen cabinets are not closing properly, any reason other than humidity? I replaced 3 year ago, should i replace them again or current can work?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alex Freeman,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The most common cause for that that I see is a breakdown of the cabinet hardware. Hinges can weaken over time, especially if you have a double-pivot hidden hinge style. Best fix is a direct replacement with a new hinge.

Of course, humidity can warp doors, hinges can become loose and out of adjustment or doors can be pulled downward over time - all could be factors.

Jaybee

Posts: 10500 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        get some colored chalk. rub up the edges of the cabinet face frame. close the door. open it and look for chalk.

see it, on opposite sides of that plane, the door has swelled. if you see chalk on the door in one corner, that's more likely to be a shot hinge.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5869 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        There may be some problem with hinges.Hinges may start sticking if the door continually gets slammed or closed too hard,or when any object get stuck within door and cabinet.Fold a matchbook cover or piece cardboard of similar thickness four times and insert it in between door and side of cabinet,if you still get problem fold matchbook again.
        http://www.truelocal.com.au/bu.../ventis-hq/brookvale

This message has been edited. Last edited by: loganmuirden,

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post