All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    rustic kitchen ideas/suggestions
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

rustic kitchen ideas/suggestions Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We are updating our kitchen and would really like some input. We are going for a rustic kitchen and I really like one of the kitchen designs from the 2011 NKBA finalist called "quaint and contemporary". Of course you cannot see the whole picture of the kitchen. I am wanting a copper farm sink with the black cabinet. I also want a copper range hood, so I am thinking of putting a small island with a black flat range top and with the stove being stainless in it, with some cutting/preparing area beside it. I was planning on having stainless fridge, dishwasher and microwave (do you think the stainless should have black on it also? Or do you think it would look okay to have no island and have the stove be stainless and black with a copper range hood against the wall? Any back splash ideas was thinking of the small squares on the 8" back with the copper accents in it? Also counter top ideas? Thinking a maybe something mixed with black and copper? Any thoughts of colors or materials? Any help would be appreciated. Really would love Victoria's insight, or a complete picture of the design and more details from 2011. HELP!

Posts: 1 | Location: Athens | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        how is any of that rustic?

"rustic" around here shows in a bunch of lake cabins and farmhouses. if there is any steel, it's 1950s steel cabinets. what you've got is simple wood cabinets, boxes with solid doors, maybe a half-round detail. floor would be sheet vinyl or a plain tile. white or "old varnish over pine" color wood.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5512 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi @screener,

A kitchen remodeling in a rustic style is pretty bold. You have to be careful with the colors you use.
        I would recommend you to use some simple tiles for your backsplash – white subway tiles are perfect and not that expensive. Also, they fit perfect with the rustic style you want. You can also use white simple tiles for your counter top (very easy to install them), if you want to use so much black and copper for your other area. You must create a color balance, don’t exaggerate.

Hope these ideas will help you in your remodeling project.

Posts: 26 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of eric_hern
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Christine Welby:
        Hi @screener,

A kitchen remodeling in a rustic style is pretty bold. You have to be careful with the colors you use.
        I would recommend you to use some simple tiles for your backsplash – white subway tiles are perfect and not that expensive. Also, they fit perfect with the rustic style you want. You can also use white simple tiles for your counter top (very easy to install them), if you want to use so much black and copper for your other area. You must create a color balance, don’t exaggerate.

Hope these ideas will help you in your remodeling project.

In addition to brightening up and creating a balance, white is soothing and is easier to clean up. Creates a sanitized illusion all the time.

I'm a drywaller not a plumber. Leave it to me, most kitchen repair jobs should be left to the pros.

Posts: 7 | Location: Bethesda, Maryland | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post