All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Counters
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Counters Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Home renovation/ countertops?
        My wife is painting out laminate countertops since I won't buy her granite. The thing is that the edges of the laminate counters are tile. She doesn't want the tile. I can take that off fine. But she wants me to change the edges from a plain square edge to something called a waterfall edge and Then laminate the edges. So first question: how do you laminate a waterfall edged counter.
        Second question: how can you make a square edge into a waterfall edge? Sand it? I know this is probably confusing. I just need some help with this.

Thomas ellis

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Dude this is not happening just buy
        Her the granite or at least granite
        Looking laminate. It will save your
        Marriage.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        My wife told me to tell you that your a smart man. Haha

Thomas ellis

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If your kitchen has simple runs, straight counters or one corner look at post form counters at your local home center. They have about 5 or 6 stock designs including a couple granite patterns.

Post form has a single piece of laminate from the bottom of the front edge to the top of the backsplash at the wall. All of the edges are rounded with the exception of the ends.

You can't reshape the edge of an existing laminate counter with a laminate edge. The laminate is quite thin and the color generally doesn't go all the way through the product.

Post form counters can be done for a couple of hundred dollars and are very DIY friendly if you have moderate DIY skills. The next step up is building your own counters with sheet laminate. It isn't hard, but requires some tools and experience using them.

Here is an article on making laminate counters and setting post form counters. http://www.hometime.com/Howto/...itchen/kitchen_6.htm

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 720 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Addiesdaddy, ThomasHenry is a troll, some of whose comments have previously been removed by the moderators because of the hostility expressed and snide remarks toward other posters.

Don't take him/her/it seriously.... Just a warning to watch out for trolls like TH.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        "waterfall" countertops are simply running the same granite down the side of the cabinets. the top edge covers the vertical side, so the material looks like Dali installed it, and it just melted down.

to do this with laminate, you install the laminate on the cabinet side first and trim it off with a trimmer bit so it's flush with the top. the fun part is putting all the dowels up vertically, I would think, so it doesn't stick to the contact cement kittywompus and look nasty forevermore.

then you glue on the countertop and trim that flush. here you use your plenty 'o' dowels in a more stable mode to keep pockets from drooping and sticking in a never-fixable state with humps and rolls in the laminate.

not sure how you're going to like this, but it's your place, and with the right material (NOT classic boomerangs!) it might look nice.

warning, danger, fattening department: the contact cement will get the sink goofy, and your liver won't like it 10 or 20 years down the road. have a ton of good cross-ventilation going.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5725 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi guys, I am new here, in fact, this is my first post on this forum.
        The reason for my visit, is to PLEASE find any info on James Young's "Agate Bar" counter top he made in his show entitled "Loft in the Burbs"
        What I need, is info on HOW he mixed the resins, WHAT he used for a form, and WHERE he got the boxes of gorgeous agates.
        He had his counter lit from below, I may or may not be into that.....but please anyone with any info I need to know, PLEASE shoot me a message!
        Thanks ahead of time !

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hello everybody, I'am trying to find out what wall color would go good in my kitchen, I have knotty pine ceilings, n was thinking out putting wood look on kitchen floor, n I have wood brown cabinets, but some are in this darkest walnut color n the doors are got brown contact paper on doors, yaky, so how can i change the dark walnut color , n the counter top is this brown wood look like stuff that i beleieve is venear, So my new colors I want is red, black, white, copper, n chrome, are going to be my new accent colors, I only have 1 wall to paint because behind my counter n stove n sink I want to bring the back slapsh all the way around, I thought of a nice white for the wall n I also thought a warm color, now if thiers away to make the kitchen have some what of a rustic look with this colors that cool to, but I dont want any green in my kitchen n no blue if at all possible

Posts: 1 | Location: harrison, mich | Registered: Nov 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        A quick note to our new posters: You will have better results to your questions if you start a new topic. Both the above new posts are far enough off the original topic that not everyone who could help you will find your posts.

Just pick the appropriate section and hit the 'new topic' section.

Jaybee

Posts: 10298 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If your not gonna get her granite counter-tops you should buy her granite cabinet knobs. They only cost a couple dollars.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post