All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    S/S Kitchen Sink??
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

S/S Kitchen Sink?? Sign In/Join 
        Picture of jjelinek03
        posted
        I am remodeling my kitchen and wanted some input as to personal experiences with stainless steel sinks..any recommendations?? looking for a single basin...undermount... I like the standard rectangle or the squarish with the more rounded faucet side.. any suggestions??

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        i am useing a stainless steel sink for the last30 years. i like it to have straight sides and hold my baking sheets ,roasting pan and other larger pots when i wash them without having to maneuver them around to soap and rinse them.also i am only 5' tall so nothing deeper than 9". the dogs get a bath in the bathtub. to clean it all you need is a sprinkle of baking soda a few drops of dawn and hot water, it will shine.just make sure to get a QUALITY sink.about 16 to 18 gauge material.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beers1,

Posts: 752 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have bought a sink from this co
        It is the best sink I have seen.

Seamlesssinks.com

Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I've used both single basin stainless steel and double basin enamel (?), which I dislike. The latter chips too easily if a pan is accidentally dropped .

Double basin sinks are not as easy to use because of the sink divider. Although together they're approximately the same size as a single basin, the divider makes it hard to get large roasters and baking pans in, so they have to be angled and rotated. Not only is this inconvenient, but if the pan is heavy, like a glass pan, it's easier to lose control of it when it's slippery and wet.

I've found stainless steel a lot easier to clean, especially stains which can easily get missed and not caught until the next cleanup. Never had to use anything more than baking soda and water and sometimes a scrungee.

I'd go for a stainless steel rectangular sink.

Posts: 1737 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I like cast iron porcelain/enamel because they're fine dampers for disposer noise and vibration. however, you have to remember that coating is... glass. take care.

you solve the issue of rust creeping up from the bottoms of the holes through the sink by NOT using plumbers' putty for top sealing, but clear 100% silicone rubber. set them not-tight, come back in 24 hours and snug the fixtures up. GE Silicone II is probably the best stuff on the market for this. not in my area major home centers, I got some at the hardware store, and some at Wal-Mart.

the creeping rust deal shows first as discoloration, then starts flaking off the finish at the drains and faucets.

there are variations of the two-bowl sink in all materials... some are 3-bowl with a shallow, narrow disposer port in the middle among the granite-ish sinks... and I'm kind of fond of the big bowl / small bowl models. we didn't go with that in our kitchen this go-around, plain 2 equal bowl biscuit cast iron jobbie. that's what the wife preferred.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5490 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        one thing in stainless steel's favor... onions. that irritant for your eyes is neutralized considerably after you chop onions by wetting your hands and rubbing them on the stainless sink bowls.

I kid you not. do that first, then wash, and you can get almost all of the stuff neutralized and then off.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5490 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        The weight/quality of the stainless steel sink will offer better satisfaction through the years (our heavy one is undercoated to reduce noise also). I prefer s/s over other sinks, just because I tend to wash everything imaginable in the kitchen sink (including paint brushes). No issue with staining.

I also hand wash dishes a lot (since most of the time just DH and myself). Have to do the pans/skillets by hand, so everything else goes in first. Thus the two compartment sink works best for me, or I would need to use lots more water to fill a huge bowl (or one of those tacky plastic tubs).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Conrad,

Posts: 6861 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Conrad, I wasn't aware that sinks could be undercoated. Did the undercoating come with the sink, or was it added after you purchased it?

Glad to meet another hand dishwasher. Most people I know don't understand why I don't have and don't want a dishwasher.

I just put some nice music on and it's my excuse to mentally dance.

Posts: 1737 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        It was no doubt done when manufactured. Don't know how old it is, as it was here 29 years ago when we moved in (not the original to the house however).
        (Guess I just assumed they still had this black type of coating available?)

I just like to clean up after a meal or meal prep, and I hand wash baking/cooking items as they are used too. Don't need tons of extra bowls, spoons, measuring cups etc, and when done...it is all cleaned up and put away.Wink

Posts: 6861 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the better sinks come with the undercoatingt , the coating also prevents condensation under the sink . they cost more money but that is well spend.
        Garden Sprite if a dog or 2 ownes you than you have a dishwasher.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'm a fan of the double bowl idea. And I've installed Franke and liked them. They come undercoated, sturdy, nice to use.

Click on this link for more info on stainless in general and for a good way to go with a double bowl. click here: Franke sink

Don't let the listed price scare you, they can be shopped for less.

And I prefer to go with 36 inch sink, if the base cabinet will let me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 873 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post