DIY Message Boards
Kitchen Remodel / Floor install sequence

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8091013504/m/8883912867

Feb 26, 2013, 03:05 PM
jjelinek03
Kitchen Remodel / Floor install sequence
I am planning a kitchen remodel and had a question regarding the floor. Do I install the new floor after the cabinets are installed or after... the present floor is engineered wood and doesnt go under cabinets...I am replacing it with tile... 12 x 12 any guidance is appreciated
Feb 26, 2013, 03:26 PM
thomashenry
Always put the tile under the cabinets, cover the whole floor including
The dishwasher and the stove.
Feb 26, 2013, 03:38 PM
Jaybee
You've hit one of the most popular topics here where everyone chooses to disagree.

Here's my take and why:

Lay the tile first because:

1. It's easier. Lots easier. With no worries about trimming up against the cabinets you can run the tile in full pieces until you pass the footprint of the cabinetry. You don't have to solid fill the under cabinet space with tile - instead, use scrap pieces of tile along the wall to keep the cabinets level.

2. Cleaner look. With no cuts up against the tile you will have a nice clean line where the cabinet kick meets the tile. If you trim tile up against the cabinets you'll have an uneven grout line that will haunt you forever.

3. Appliances and countertop height. Put the tile in first and then install your cabinets & tops and your countertops will be at exactly the right height. Same for things like the range and dishwasher. While it's not a large measurement, everything will still be off by around 1/2" - sometimes a critical measurement for a dishwasher.

There is really nothing 'wrong' about installing the cabinets first and then tile - it will work. If you were tiling your floor without changing cabinets it would be the way to go. however, as a construction pro I can't justify a method to my clients that will cost more and be less finished so we always install tile first.

Jaybee
Feb 27, 2013, 11:29 AM
thomashenry
Always put the tile under the cabinets, cover the whole floor including
The dishwasher and the stove.
Apr 21, 2013, 03:54 PM
lynnw
In a completely gutted kitchen, is it recommended to install a floating laminate floor under new cabinets as well as appliances?
Apr 21, 2013, 05:04 PM
Jaybee
Floating floors are the exception. Install a floating floor after the cabinets are installed as you do not want the floating floor underneath the cabinets.

Here too, it's not a deal breaker if the floating floor goes under the cabinets. Even with a heavy countertop, the floor will still be able to expand and contract with temperature changes. However, the very nature of floating floors makes them easier to replace - so they could be replaced without the cabinets being changed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee