DIY Message Boards
Replacing cabinets & floor

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8091013504/m/8653926967

Apr 11, 2013, 09:13 AM
Del Hall
Replacing cabinets & floor
I am remodling my kitchen & my son is doing most of labor. He wants to install all of the new cabinets first & then the new tiled floor. I want him to
tile first to ensure the dish washer will fit properly. Which way is the correct or proper way for this?
Apr 11, 2013, 12:12 PM
thomashenry
you can do it eaither way but i prefer to tile under the cabinets. that will also allow for any changes in the future any new owners will that you for doing it correctly.
Apr 11, 2013, 04:40 PM
Jaybee
Go with the tile first. While it is 'possible' to do it in either order (and this is one of the most debated topics on these boards) there are many reasons to install the floor first and no reason to install the floor after the cabinets are in. Installing the tile first is faster and easier as there is no cut tiles to trim up to the cabinet kick. Also, since you have a full tile passing under the front edge of the cabinet, there will always be a nice, clean line there instead of cracking grout. On top of that, you don't even have to tile all the way to the wall under the cabinets - as long as you tile past the front edge (typically 21" away from the wall) then you can stop tiling at any point. Just lay a line of tile scraps along the wall to keep the cabinets level. This will save both time and material.

Jaybee