All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Replacing cabinets & floor
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Replacing cabinets & floor Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am remodling my kitchen & my son is doing most of labor. He wants to install all of the new cabinets first & then the new tiled floor. I want him to
        tile first to ensure the dish washer will fit properly. Which way is the correct or proper way for this?

Posts: 1 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Apr 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you can do it eaither way but i prefer to tile under the cabinets. that will also allow for any changes in the future any new owners will that you for doing it correctly.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Go with the tile first. While it is 'possible' to do it in either order (and this is one of the most debated topics on these boards) there are many reasons to install the floor first and no reason to install the floor after the cabinets are in. Installing the tile first is faster and easier as there is no cut tiles to trim up to the cabinet kick. Also, since you have a full tile passing under the front edge of the cabinet, there will always be a nice, clean line there instead of cracking grout. On top of that, you don't even have to tile all the way to the wall under the cabinets - as long as you tile past the front edge (typically 21" away from the wall) then you can stop tiling at any point. Just lay a line of tile scraps along the wall to keep the cabinets level. This will save both time and material.

Jaybee

Posts: 10116 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post