DIY Message Boards
Vent for stove...

This topic can be found at:

Aug 11, 2013, 04:00 PM
Vent for stove...
We have a house that when we bought it there was a broken microwave oven above the electric kitchen stove. The vent was attached to the micro wave oven, so when we took the micro wave out we lost the vent as well as the ability to turn it on. There is still the vent hole where the vent would blow the cooking smoke/smells outside. So finally my question: we just want a vent hood that will blow the air out. But in order to get one will we need an electrician to hook one up or is it easy enough for amateurs like us to put in? There is a wall outlet inside the cupboard above the stove too. Where the vent hole is it has the silver tubing lining it (similar to the tubing used to vent a clothes dryer)
Thank You for any help with info Smile

Janet Smile

Rubberstamping makes the world more colorful!!
Aug 11, 2013, 06:28 PM
The microhood is designed to be plugged into a typical outlet in the cabinet above. A range hood will have to be hard wired. It's an easy DIY electrical project PROVIDED YOU HAVE SOME ELECTRICAL EXPERIENCE. If not, then hire it out. You don't even need to hire an electrician as most home handymen can handle something like this.

The electrical circuit for the microhood is more than adequate to handle the load of a range hood. The basics are to tap into the back side of the existing outlet, or remove the outlet completely and run romex inside the wall and out where it needs to inter the range hood. Hard wire connections are made with wire nuts.

Again, a pretty basic project but with electricity, you do need to know what you are doing and have a few basic tools.

Aug 12, 2013, 07:16 PM
When I do a remodel and I'm using a basic cooktop vent, I hardwire it in. But since the electricity is already in, what if a pigtail was added to the new vent and plugged into the existing outlet in the cabinet?? I can't say I've done it, but it ought to save some rewire work