All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Painting the Kitchen
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Painting the Kitchen Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Ok so we just ordered our Cabinets and countertops for our brand new kitchen!! I know you aren't going to see much of the walls but do you still paint the walls before you put the cabinets up?? Also what colors are good for a kitchen?? I really am having a hard time finding the "right" color!! Please help!! Thanks

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        at minimum, the walls should be primed to reduce pickup of geaasy dust that gets past everything.

for me, it's darn easy to roll the walls when there is nothing up, and I'm going to paint them. if I modify a cabinet later, the paint is up and matched. it's also going to protect the wallboard. so I put an extra quart of paint into the kitchen. I'm not General Condo LLC, where a quart here and a quart there over 600,000 units means millions of dollars a year.

besides, calculate it, kick over one latte and one Mountain Dew on the job, and you've spent more mopping the floor than putting up the paint.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5460 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I'm with Swschrad on this one: paint before. It's easier, and safer without having to work around cabinets. And there's less risk of paint dripping on brand new cabinets.

As to colors, bathrooms and kitchens are IMHO the most likely place of accidents on what is typically the first floor of a house and need a lot of good lighting, which means light colored walls (unless you don't do very much cooking).

My personal preference is an ivory or off white or other light colored natural tones. White itself can be glaring and sometimes too stark. Both colors go with anything, and should go with your walls.

But this is really a personal preference.

You can get swatches of colors from HD or Lowe's and hold them up to samples of wood for your cabinets (or comparable cabinets from wherever you bought your cabinets) to see how they go together.

I know that some folks go for dramatic colors in the kitchen; that's their choice. I certainly wouldn't want to be cutting food with sharp knives in a darker colored kitchen. Not to mention it's hard to find all those little bits of food that escape during food preparation and hide. Dark walls only make it harder to find them (perhaps before someone slips on them).

I once visited someone who had painted almost all her walls black. It was a shock to walk into the rooms because they were so dark. Not only was it hard to see but I felt as if I was in Dracula's castle. The whole house had a foreboding atmosphere and I couldn't wait to get out of there. I never figured out how she could tolerate cooking in her black kitchen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1722 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        agree, light color. wear Goth, don't paint it on the walls, if you must. all that dark clown-color some designers insist on pushing at us freaks the psyche and brings out the depression in a wavering mind.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5460 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post