All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    updating cabinet doors
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

updating cabinet doors Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have Euro style cabinets (white laminate doors with blond wood trim)that the builder installed when this house was built in 2003. They are in excellent shape, but I wonder if there is a way to update their look without installing new doors and drawer fronts. Because they have an indented channel along the door bottoms, I'm not sure that painting them will be sufficient. Help, please!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Aside from refacing the cabinets the only suggestion I have is to maybe add soft close functionality to the doors and drawers. Blum soft close drawer slides and soft close hinges add a convenience and aesthetic option to dated cabinets without having to change the facing.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Sure sounds like builder grade Marlette cabinets.
        Not much you can do to them other then replace them.
        Thin hard facing near impossible to get paint to stick to and particle board under it.

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the only legitimate option is change the hardware. even that can be nasty, because over time, The Conspiracy (tm) will decide to use different spacing between the screw locations, which means new holes and ugly old ones showing up. changing any functional hardware (hinges, drawer tracks, etc) will mean putting new holes into new blind-screw locations, and if those screws are overtightened into that scuzwood, nothing will hold.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Not that I've tried, but I wonder if something like wallpaper might work. I wouldn't know though.

Posts: 977 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Ahhhh, you would be surprised...

http://www.familyhandyman.com/...et-refacing/view-all

Here's lots of info..
        http://www.familyhandyman.com/...cing+cabinets&num=50

Here's some neat ideas..
        http://www.familyhandyman.com/...-more-space/view-all

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ron45,

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post