All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    cabinets
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

cabinets Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I was just wondering when they do their renovations why do they destroy and throw away good material? For example the kitchen cabinets I would die to have some of the ones they destroy and throw away.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MamaHess,

Posts: 1 | Location: Missouri | Registered: Apr 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Call up remodelers in your area, tell them what you want. Be prepared to 'buy' the cabinets from them. The builder will have to take time to remove them, it's faster just to rip them out and garbage them. But maybe he can get you a set, and let you haul them rather than him paying to have them hauled. I pulled a set of cabinets from one house and set them in my driveway -- they didn't last two hours before someone claimed them, and paid me to install them in their house.

Posts: 873 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        A lot of them are in worse condition than what is apparent on TV - rotted bottoms etc. People also frequently ask why the cabinets are not donated to places like Habitat? Simple answer - Habitat doesn't want them. They may take one or two but leave the bulk to be thrown away.

As Re-mdlr points out, it's more expensive to carefully remove cabinets. It's also expensive and sometimes impossible to find a place to store them. net result is that you have some crap cabinets that nobody wants that are costing everyone more money - so you throw them away.

If we can locate someone who wants old material from one of our projects then we will do our best to carefully remove the stuff - and arrange for them to pick it up immediately. Win-win for everyone. But most of the time it's just not worth it to anyone.

Jaybee

Posts: 10126 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post