All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    upgrading a home I rent
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

upgrading a home I rent Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I rent, but have lived here for 7 years and the owners would let me do anything I ask. I would love to upgrade the kitchen. The home is old, the kitchen has panel walls, built in China cabinet, ugly counters and ugly floor. I'm thinking about starting with the paneling, would love to paint it but am afraid with the cabinets being dark also, I can't picture it, I have to see it! Don't want to paint paneling then find I made a mistake. Any suggestion? I want to lighten the room up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blindlady,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Would you consider painting the cabinets also?

To test how you might like the paneling painted, get some white sheets or large rolls of butcher paper and just cover areas temporarily. This can give you a good idea just how much light would be reflected back and the space might open up?

Painting surfaces, like old paneling, can also just seem to clean and refresh an area. Caulking and wood putty can close up large cracks/seams and create a clean new looking surface.

If you do paint, get good advice from a pro paint store. Clean and rinse the paneling with a grease removing cleaner like TSP, prime and use the best quality paint for the best results.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would love to paint the cabinets also! Problem is floor is a white, counters are an ugly white, back splash is the same ugly white as counters. So not sure about colors. Like I said, having a hard time seeing it, I'm a picture person! Smile

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        the same ugly white as counters. So not sure about colors. Like I said, having a hard time seeing it, I'm a picture person!

Hmm, it seems like that you will be able to achieve an eclectic touch by keeping the natural worn-looking surface of the counters. Do they look "vintage" or they are more like crap? If they are ok, you can keep them and combine with nice modern appliances and furniture. Just have in mind matching the colors.

I like design!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post