All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Eixting cupboards
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Eixting cupboards Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We have an old farmhouse and are getting ready to redo the kitchen. I plan on keeping the exsisting cupboards but are moving them from one wall to another. They are all one piece and I will need to split them. Is there an easy way to accomplish this without ruining them?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It really depends on how they are made and your cabinetry skills. You can always cut the cabinets - turning one large cabinet into two but you'll be rebuilding two ends to make this happen. Aside from the challenge of finding the same materials a project like this will require a fair amount of fine carpentry skills.

You can always hire it out to a pro, but in this case the cost to modify the cabinets will likely equal or exceed that of new cabinetry.

Jaybee

Posts: 10073 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        One cut end would butt up against a wall so we would not have to finish that side. We have accomplished the living room, bathroom, and a back enclosed porch remodel and a laundry room complete new construction without having to hire a pro, if we can't figure this one out without having to hire someone to do it there is a problem. My brother-in-law actually does wood working maybe he has some ideas.

Thanks

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Well, there you go - half the work is already done.

If you or somebody you know has the skill, then as I said - the hard part is finding the same material.

Jaybee

Posts: 10073 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think it is pine but who knows.