DIY Message Boards
Eixting cupboards

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8091013504/m/6373988967

Apr 20, 2013, 11:34 AM
Suezz
Eixting cupboards
We have an old farmhouse and are getting ready to redo the kitchen. I plan on keeping the exsisting cupboards but are moving them from one wall to another. They are all one piece and I will need to split them. Is there an easy way to accomplish this without ruining them?
Apr 20, 2013, 01:14 PM
Jaybee
It really depends on how they are made and your cabinetry skills. You can always cut the cabinets - turning one large cabinet into two but you'll be rebuilding two ends to make this happen. Aside from the challenge of finding the same materials a project like this will require a fair amount of fine carpentry skills.

You can always hire it out to a pro, but in this case the cost to modify the cabinets will likely equal or exceed that of new cabinetry.

Jaybee
Apr 20, 2013, 02:28 PM
Suezz
One cut end would butt up against a wall so we would not have to finish that side. We have accomplished the living room, bathroom, and a back enclosed porch remodel and a laundry room complete new construction without having to hire a pro, if we can't figure this one out without having to hire someone to do it there is a problem. My brother-in-law actually does wood working maybe he has some ideas.

Thanks
Apr 20, 2013, 03:27 PM
Jaybee
Well, there you go - half the work is already done.

If you or somebody you know has the skill, then as I said - the hard part is finding the same material.

Jaybee
Apr 20, 2013, 04:53 PM
Suezz
I think it is pine but who knows.