All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Lead paint
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Lead paint Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am looking into remodeling my very out dated kitchen. We are on a fairly tight budget and are planning to do most of the work ourselves. We had someone come out today to measure the kitchen for cabinets. While at my house they brought something up that I hadn't thought of, lead paint. My plan was to take out a wall and tear out the tile "backsplash" that covers 75% of the walls. I have 2 small children and am not comfortable trying to remove this myself at this point if it does contain lead. I am looking for advice and options. Can you plaster over tile? Can you drywall over tile? Is there anything I can do to make my kitchen look great without tearing out the tile? Help! I'm lost...

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi MMQ,

I understand your concern about lead paint and that it is an issue that can be a problem. However, you need to be more informed about the issue so you know how to best to deal with this problem.

Below are links which provide information about lead paint and what is needed if you plan to renovate an area where such material was used. Read then and become more informed.

http://www2.epa.gov/lead

http://www.usinspect.com/resou...-and-dealing-lead-pa

As you will notice the US Government banned the use of lead paint in 1978 so any home built after that date will likely be free of this problem.

Do you know when your home was built? This may be the first step in dealing with the issue. If it is built after 1978 then you may not have any issue to be concerned about. If it was before 1978 then you need to learn how to have the area tested to see if lead is involved. You also need to learn what you may and may not do by following the EPA document above. Failing to do so could lead to being fined.

These are just some thoughts for you to consider.

Good Luck!

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you cannot lay new material over tile and expect it to stay in place... whatever the material.

lead paint advice is a trap, but I'm a slow learner, I guess. if any of the pros chime in, listen. I would do a swipe test in my own house, and try to remove the wall in as large a set of piecces as possible with an N95 mask and the connecting rooms masked off with an overlapping-plastics dust trap (2 pieces of poly sheet from the roll.) furnace/AC air circulation blocked to that kitchen.

the question of "is old lead paint encapsulated if it's covered by 3 layers of good stuff" has never been really answered to my mind. if it's flaking off to the plaster, of course, then the failure is obvious.

since old houses are rehabbed all the time and nobody is dumber than the drywall by the end of the job, I suspect as long as you catch the dust and keep the kids out, it will be fine.

watch out for old linoleum as well, most of it was made with an asbestos mat in with the tar. ripping that out like newbies on TV will cause worse problems than a little lead. if you can't wiggle it out wet and keep wiping up and respraying, go to the subfloor and take the lino up with the floorboards.

(( duck and cover, incoming! ))

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5484 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        I recommend contacting the US Dept of Housing and Urban Development requesting a "Lead Paint Safety Guide", a field guide for Painting, Home Maintenance and Renovation Work.
        It is a straight head no nonsense approach to safely working around a lead environment.
        And while contractors are bound by federal law to follow its workplace rules, in a technical sense homeowners do not have to. Nor will big brother be bearing down your neck. Odd, but true. But with children involved why would one not?
        Good luck with your project, be safe. Basically what Simply_Me posted above, but very sound advise.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1393 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post