All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    HELP! COUNTERTOPS!
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

HELP! COUNTERTOPS! Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Ok, I am trying to decide which countertops to choose for my cherry cabinets. I have seen many that are cherry with a black countertop and some that go with the light. I am driving myself and my husband crazy. I found a place nearby that has some of their color choices online and this is where I am choosing from: Marble choices

I don't know if I want granite, marble or onyx. I have two toddlers running around and I use my countertops heavily. Any suggestions here would help greatly! Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Hummm, trying to decide if you are just spamming or not......

Any of the solid surfaces will work well with kids and heavy countertop use. As for color, this is totally subjective with you having all the input. While there may be a few hues of natural stone products that could clash with your cabinets, most will work well. Take a sample of your cabinets and a sample of your floor when you go looking at countertop types and decide from that.

Jaybee

Posts: 10421 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        For heavy use I'd at least want something light colored so that all the stains could be seen and cleaned up.

Posts: 1926 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Really? Light colored? I was worried that the light colors might show more and if it were a more porous surface and it actually DID get stained, I'd have an even bigger problem on my hands.

The problem is that I genuinely like the look of cherry cabinets, but rarely like the countertops that people choose to go with them. Also, I love the marble, but am scared to go forward with it. I keep reading that marble is so soft, easily damaged, etc. but I have yet to actually hear from someone who says "Oh, it was horrible, look what happened to me!"

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        Hummm, trying to decide if you are just spamming or not......

Not sure what that means, but I'm a newbie here. I'm trying to really figure out what works best with my kitchen before I spend the money on it and end up hating it! I feel like a kitchen is such a long term commitment that you have to live with for years if you do something wrong. Plus, I don't want to hear my husband say "I told you so!" LOL!

Jaybee- it sounds like you know a lot about stone. I use my countertops for rolling out a lot of different types of bread dough. Some which are coated in olive oil before they hit the countertop. Is there any stone that would actually absorb the oil and stain, so I know to stay away from it?

Thanks for your input.

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Any natural stone will be subject to staining using it that way.
        We have Corian counter tops and love them.
        Only thing you can not do is cut on them, just use a cutting board.

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would definitely suggest the use granite. I had my kitchen remodeled before new year and we installed granite countertops. It seems to much almost other colors. The appearance looks really elegant. I was also searching from Google the advantages of granite over other materials and I have seen the difference.

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post