DIY Message Boards
HELP! COUNTERTOPS!

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8091013504/m/6123920197

Dec 29, 2013, 08:44 AM
massmomma
HELP! COUNTERTOPS!
Ok, I am trying to decide which countertops to choose for my cherry cabinets. I have seen many that are cherry with a black countertop and some that go with the light. I am driving myself and my husband crazy. I found a place nearby that has some of their color choices online and this is where I am choosing from: Marble choices

I don't know if I want granite, marble or onyx. I have two toddlers running around and I use my countertops heavily. Any suggestions here would help greatly! Thanks!
Dec 29, 2013, 10:19 AM
Jaybee
Hummm, trying to decide if you are just spamming or not......

Any of the solid surfaces will work well with kids and heavy countertop use. As for color, this is totally subjective with you having all the input. While there may be a few hues of natural stone products that could clash with your cabinets, most will work well. Take a sample of your cabinets and a sample of your floor when you go looking at countertop types and decide from that.

Jaybee
Dec 29, 2013, 11:26 AM
GardenSprite
For heavy use I'd at least want something light colored so that all the stains could be seen and cleaned up.
Dec 30, 2013, 07:35 AM
massmomma
Really? Light colored? I was worried that the light colors might show more and if it were a more porous surface and it actually DID get stained, I'd have an even bigger problem on my hands.

The problem is that I genuinely like the look of cherry cabinets, but rarely like the countertops that people choose to go with them. Also, I love the marble, but am scared to go forward with it. I keep reading that marble is so soft, easily damaged, etc. but I have yet to actually hear from someone who says "Oh, it was horrible, look what happened to me!"
Dec 30, 2013, 07:41 AM
massmomma
quote:
Originally posted by Jaybee:
Hummm, trying to decide if you are just spamming or not......

Not sure what that means, but I'm a newbie here. I'm trying to really figure out what works best with my kitchen before I spend the money on it and end up hating it! I feel like a kitchen is such a long term commitment that you have to live with for years if you do something wrong. Plus, I don't want to hear my husband say "I told you so!" LOL!

Jaybee- it sounds like you know a lot about stone. I use my countertops for rolling out a lot of different types of bread dough. Some which are coated in olive oil before they hit the countertop. Is there any stone that would actually absorb the oil and stain, so I know to stay away from it?

Thanks for your input.
Dec 30, 2013, 08:00 AM
joecaption
Any natural stone will be subject to staining using it that way.
We have Corian counter tops and love them.
Only thing you can not do is cut on them, just use a cutting board.

joecaption
Jan 17, 2014, 01:05 AM
ashtonparker436
I would definitely suggest the use granite. I had my kitchen remodeled before new year and we installed granite countertops. It seems to much almost other colors. The appearance looks really elegant. I was also searching from Google the advantages of granite over other materials and I have seen the difference.