All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    What can I do with these cabinets?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

What can I do with these cabinets? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Is there anything I can do with these cabinets? Just bought a house and they are in every bathroom, the kitchen, the laundry room and wetbar. It's not in the budget right now to do much, but I would like to do something, at least in the kitchen and bathrooms. (And since I'm planning for a complete renovation in 18mo-2 years, I'm not sure I even want to spend money for new doors - but I really don't like them as is!)

Also, what in the world do you call this type of cabinet? I don't even know what term to use to search for possibilities - I'm sure I'm not the only one who has these cabinets and has wanted to update them!

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I'd just suck it up for the next year and a half or two - maybe just close your eyes everytime you go into the kitchen?

The doors are a laminate with and added on modified qtr round trim. I'd bet good money that the top and bottom trim is an ad-on and not an option from the cabinet manufacturer. Short story here is there is not much you can do to make them look better short of replacing all the fronts. They don't take paint very well due to the slick surface.

Jaybee

Posts: 10300 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        There also some of the lowest grade cabinets that Merillat makes.
        All particle board.
        Look up inside in the corners and see what they used as gussets where the countertop gets attached.
        Several of that model I've removed and taken to the dump just used a pieces of 3/8 particle board another one used stapled on pieces of plastic that broken off.
        http://www.merillat.com/our-pr....html#white-with-oak

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joecaption,

joecaption

Posts: 18025 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Now remember, this is just temporary (of course, mine have been "temporary" for the last 20 years on the round to it list LOL).
        Contact paper. You could use black and paint out the wood. You could use wood grain if you could find something close to the wood of the cabinets. Whatever.
        The melamine, formica, of the doors makes it tough to paint but I have had good luck with a primer and a good wallpaper paste.
        Punch out some aluminum roof flashing and use small molding to cover the doors.
        Depending on what your style is, there's bunch of stuff you can easily do with not a bunch of money.
        Good luck, it is a challenge that can be overcome.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Nov 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        You might try adding some floral arrangements - silk flowers will do just fine if you can't afford live flowers (which are very expensive). Use your favorite colors and in a little while your eyes will gravitate toward the favorite flowers and away from the cabinets.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Bumping Spam today.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1433 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the ideas everyone! My personal favorite is closing my eyes when I walk in - I almost instinctively do that now! Smile

Anyway not sure which route I'm going to go yet - may suck it up and get the new doors as a temporary fix. Lowe's is have a pretty good sale on pre-fab, in-stock doors right now that might be worth saving the time trying to do anything else. The one positive of these cabinets is that they are "stock" and don't require any special sizes.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        For what it's worth, your cabinets look a lot better than the ones that were in my house when we bought it around 22 years ago. They were thin metal with particle board doors covered with vinyl (similar to contact paper).
        We lived with them for about 12 years before we could afford to remodel the kitchen. We did paint them, but the paint didn't stick very well.

1.5 - 2 years doesn't sound like a long time to put up with them. Save the money or use it for something that will last.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post