DIY Message Boards
Can Cabinet Doors Be Re-Routed

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8091013504/m/5753925377

Sep 02, 2013, 11:08 PM
NothingCouldBeFiner
Can Cabinet Doors Be Re-Routed
I have typical painted birch wood kitchen cabinet doors that were popular in the 60's. The link below shows another trend of the 1960's, those small lines created with a router (my routed lines are not so close to the cabinet door edge, as shown in the picture.

I want to get rid of those "dip design" corners. Is it possible to fill in the corners with wood filler, sand, then re-route a square design in the cabinet door? The re-route design would be a little wider, but not much deeper, based on the thickness of the cabinet door. Thank you.

Sep 03, 2013, 10:40 AM
swschrad
not sure how it's going to hold up the first time somebody slams a cabinet door, but yeah, build a jig to set the door into that has a rim to guide the router, and give it a try.

you are going to have a form of tear-out the first time the router bit hits the new, hardened putty, though. hard to tell how that's going to impact the process until you do one. NostrilDrippus Predicts! (tm) there may be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Sep 03, 2013, 01:33 PM
nona
instead of wood filler, I would us epoxy mixed with a thickener ( sanding sawdust or even unmedicated / unscented powder would work)Clean out the area that you want to fill of all paint / grease that has accumulated then rough up the groove. and apply the filler. If you don't want to make your own filler, bondo will work. After you reroute the door, paint

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,
Sep 03, 2013, 02:00 PM
Conrad
Have you considered looking into attaching a surface "picture frame" thin, (but wide enough, 2inch?) molding to just cover the lines? Still give you the squared look.
Sep 04, 2013, 07:09 PM
NothingCouldBeFiner
Don't know why the picture didn't load?

http://www.stoversliquidation....ts-10-x-10-set-copy/

As you can see from the attached link, I would be covering the dip and extending the routed line out. Never thought about the filler falling out.

I have considered so much. Moulding, slats of wood added for a shaker look, etc. I really wanted to replace the doors, but there's 32 cabinets, 16 different sizes. Seems in 1950, the cabinet marker would come to the house and build the cabinets on site. The cabinets themselves are 1/2" thick solid pine. My contractor says if I remove the cabinets, it would pull the drywall off the studs, and he would be happy to take more of my money. Why did they have to build these old houses so well?? Thanks guys. If you think of something else, let me know.
Sep 05, 2013, 04:06 PM
nona
epoxy filler or bondo, if properly done, wont fall out