DIY Message Boards
Oak Country Kitchen Nightmare. Contemporary dream on a budget

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8091013504/m/5693970477

Sep 25, 2013, 10:06 PM
RunInTheRain
Oak Country Kitchen Nightmare. Contemporary dream on a budget
I would love to be on this show! Want to come to FL? I don't know where to begin with optimizing the functionality and cosmetics of the space to contemporary/transitional,clean lines,functional,timeless.
Thoughts?

Nov 04, 2013, 08:29 PM
Ltlpea
Have you looked at Ikea kitchens? They can look very modern, are very sturdy and affordable!
We have an old farmhouse and just bought the Lindingo Grey cabinets as we cant have a real modern look.
They even havea software you can use to draw out your kitchen.
Good luck!!!!!
Nov 04, 2013, 09:12 PM
swschrad
the cabinets look fine. that island is what is killing the flow in the kitchen. more light would help define things, say, a track light or one of those 3 or 4 light ceiling fixtures that is track light heads that mounts like a regular ceiling fixture.

I would get some cardboard, scrap plywood, anything, and cut it to the dimensions of the island. move it around to see if there is a corner by the beams into the dining room where it can serve as a breakfast bar. moving it will require floor work, and if there are services into it like water/drain/power, it's a major undertaking.

but I'd take the cabinets just as they are, just define workspaces with some lights as described.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?