DIY Message Boards
Install "counter top" dishwasher with pluming under the sink

This topic can be found at:

May 21, 2013, 04:38 PM
Install "counter top" dishwasher with pluming under the sink
I bought a "counter top" dishwasher because I cannot install a permanent dishwasher in my apartment. I want to install the pluming under the sink because I do not have a standard faucet with threads I can connect to. I have a shower head type sprayer faucet and do not want to change it out. So I want to connect both the inlet and outlet hoses under the sink.

I would add some sort of "T" connector to the hot water inlet under the sink to connect the inlet hose, and add a PVC "T" connector to the sink drain under the sink to connect the outlet hose.

This seemed so obvious to me when I made the purchase, but cannot find any discussions about this online. Are there any issues with my plan that I should be aware of?
May 21, 2013, 06:44 PM
You are on the right track. For the hot supply, you can replace the regular 2-way supply valve with a 3-way supply valve. The only problem here is that you must turn off the water at the main to replace the valve. 3-way valves are available at any home store for just a few dollars. OR - you can add a 'T' to the hot water supply on the uphill side of the hot water supply valve. Not all stores carry these - you need to find one that mates to the top of a standard 3/8" fine thread that is typical of a supply valve. This can be an easier install as all you need to do is shut off the hot supply valve.

For either method, home stores also carry long, braided metal flexible dishwasher supply lines.

The drain part is easy. There are light-gauge sink tail pieces that have a step for a dishwsher connection. At worst, you may have to redo your drain directly underneath the sink to make the new part fit in with the old. Also, if you have a disposal, it already has a port for DW drain connection. All you have to do is to punch out the knockout plug inside the disposal unit.

May 21, 2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks. This is very helpful. I do have a disposal and now see the punchout and threads. This is much easier than the mod. I thought was needed. Poking around under the sink I noticed a small leak in the original faucet connection. I guess that is my next project ;-(
May 22, 2013, 09:50 PM
the drain part you need is called a dishwasher disposal connector.. or i call it a duck call [looks like one]