All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    old metal cabinets and metal hutch help
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

old metal cabinets and metal hutch help Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I dont have the money to replace anything and I got the ok to do what I want from landlord. I want to do a makeover.I have no idea where to start.Metal cabinet under sink is painted white. And the metal hutch is painted white with blue doors.The top part has 1 door on left side(which popps open all time),in between there are shelves and then to the left is door missing.Below that,the middle is opened counter space below that is right and left blue drawes below that is shelves in middle(that one shelve is bent and rust is starting on the bent part) and blue door on left side and missing door on right side.I like the old country look.Any ideas on what to do with it? This is the only thing I have to put pans and food in.

Posts: 2 | Location: illinois | Registered: Jun 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Limited on what you can do.
        A picture would sure help.
        Those cabinets should have been replaced 40 years ago.

joecaption

Posts: 18028 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        assuming the landlord is not maintaining the property and ready to replace those with wood cabinets, the proper attack is to remove them, take them to an auto body shop, to clean, prep, and paint them with a hard enamel like the one that has lasted 40 years or more.

the problem with the door that pops open is the catch on the cabinet is weak. don't know where you'd go for that, but I'd start with Rockler. the catch should be held on with two screws. it's either two spring metal contacts in a solid piece of metal, or a squirrelly-looking spring.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5763 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Hello Galia,

I've been a renter and I have now been a homeowner for 20+ years. My wife really wanted a house to raise our kids in, but, at the time we were looking to buy, I really preferred the apartment. I had a lot of activities going on and I really liked being able to pick up the phone and call the rental office whenever something went bad in the apartment.

The house we bought had very similar metal cabinets to the ones you described. We were in the house for around 12 years before we could afford to have our kitchen remodeled and replace those old clunker metal cabinets.

So, what's your point SturdyNail? My wife and I put up with the metal cabinets because it was our place and we couldn't call the rental office to have someone take care of them. When we finally afforded to replace them, it was an investment in our property. As Joe said, your landlord should have replaced those cabinets 40 years ago (not you!).
        If your landlord is willing to shell out some money to spruce things up a bit, find out how much he/she is willing to spend. You may have more options than you think.
        We tried painting our metal clunkers a few times. It never looked very good and didn't hold up at all. If you're set on keeping the metal cabinets, then I think swschrad's suggestions for getting a top-notch finish sound really good.

Best of luck.

Posts: 301 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        we did that with a goshawful gold fridge, and it turned out well. probably cost in the end a quarter of what a new one would cost, not counting the repair to the defrost heater that broke on the truck.

Posts: 5763 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you all.Well the landlord dont care.If its the roof,plumbing or electric he is on top of it.Anything eles he dont do crap.Im on a fixed income and want a nice place.So I have to work with what I got,cant afford to buy cabinets oh and the bath r. is good size but there is no medican cabinet,mirror or any cabinets or shelves to put bathroom stuff in.This place is the only place I can afford right now.So I decided to fix this place up the cheapies way I can.I dont have anyway to take pictures.I notice someone put a big headboard by the dumpster,it is really nice.Gona go out there in a sec.and get it.Gona make a bench out of it.I better go get it before someone eles does.Any thing eles you can think of please let me now.Thanks

Posts: 2 | Location: illinois | Registered: Jun 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        good luck. Nicole Curtis basically stages all her houses off the curb, so it can be done.

posted Hide Post
        According to this site (link below) you may have a better chance then you think at getting something done.
        Imagination.?????

https://www.etsy.com/search/vintage?q=metal+cabinet

I've personally picked up about 9 sets of cabinets at yard sales for less then $125.00 each set. Maybe you could sell the collector items and purchase more modern ones.?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ron45,

Posts: 837 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post