All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Kitchen remodel-help?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Kitchen remodel-help? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        So, I'm hoping to remodel our kitchen and we're just now creating our budget based on bids and costs of materials/appliances.

Luckily, the kitchen's layout, plumbing, electrical and cabinetry are all in great shape. But the appliances are old, the floor, countertops, backsplash etc. have seen better days. So before we commit to these materials/appliances I just wanted some feedback about some of the big decisions.

Appliances: We went to a Wolf/Sub-zero showroom for these as the appliances were our main reason for an upgrade. We have a big family and almost always eat at home but they are pricey. Has anyone found them to be worthwhile?

Countertops: I want to go with quartz because they might be the best of both worlds since they are aesthetically pleasing but also stain, heat and scratch resistant with no need of sealing. Is all that true or would you recommend something else?

Flooring: We currently have some strange laminate I detest and I wanted hardwood to match the rest of the house. BUT I think ceramic tile might be the best option since the kitchen is such a high traffic area. What do you recommend?

Backsplash: Lots of disagreements on this one. My Dad suggested the economical and timeless ceramic subway tiles which would really stand the test of time. My husband wants some faux-stone material -_- but I would really like a recycled glass mosaic. Why recycled?--it makes me feel better about how awful I'm being for choosing the most expensive option :P Has anyone used glass and is it easier to maintain? Should I go for the cheaper materials?

Thanks for your time!

christophe

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        for some reason, in the past Consumer Reports has downgraded SubZero for frequent repairs. and you can bet the parts and labor are higher than for your average Frigidaire.

provided you don't sling pans across the counters and crash them into the backsplash, glass is serviceable and easy to clean. issues with tiles in general revolve around splashed goo not coming out of the grout, so be sure to seal it early and often.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5858 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Speaking only to the issue of appliances:

I know nothing about Wolf/Sub Zero as a distributor (?) of appliances, but if appliances are the main reason for an upgrade I would check some real appliance stores as well for comparison, especially of the brands and country of manufacture.

As to an upgrade being worthwhile, that really depends on your purpose for upgrading.

Do you want new appliances because of energy efficiency or increased capacity for your large family or simply to upgrade to something more contemporary?

If the second criteria is your justification, you could save yourself a lot of money by just buying an additional refrigerator or freezer and keeping it in the basement or garage.

If you want a commercial sized range/oven, you're probably moving into a different category of size, style and manufacturer, so you might want to research such commercial options.

You probably know that along with some American made appliances, you'll probably encounter Chinese and Mexican made appliances as well. You might want to decide if you want to even consider these offshore appliances, especially the Chinese ones given the history of that country's lack of quality control. I would also research the various brands and eliminate those that have histories of problems.

I had to buy a new stove a few years ago and was disappointed by the limited choices. Now I wish I'd done more comparison shopping at real appliance stores before buying.

The stove works properly, but the materials are junky - the top is already dinged, the gas burner grates need excessive maintenance and stain easily. I couldn't find an American made gas stove that I wanted and settled for a Mexican made one. Although I can tolerate the extra maintenance and poor quality, to me it's a stepdown from the quality of the previous stove I had.

Don't invest a lot of money for something that's a cosmetic upgrade but poor quality.

I'm not knowledgeable on any of the other categories you address except to comment that it's your and your husband's kitchen, and presumably you will be doing the maintenance and cleaning for the backsplash. That should be a major consideration.

Hope this helps for just one aspect of your plans. I do think you're wise to do all this planning and evaluation before starting your remodel.

Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        When planning for an renovation it is always better that you have too much budget so that you can design what you want and you can choose the better material which for me is very important .Well before when i plan to renovate the bathroom or Kylpyhuone i spend a lot of money from tiles and other material which it really worth it cause every time i use bathroom i seen how good it is.

Posts: 7 | Location: Philippines | Registered: Aug 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        for me, it's easy... check the label of appliances for country of origin. you can't rely on brands. all major manufacturers have plants in Mexico, and the quality has not been up to par. if you are looking at dishwashers, Bosch has a huge US plant, and they are rated well "by a leading consumer magazine" historically.

a US outfit making US appliances is among the best indications that you can get parts in the future. and hey, why not help our economy instead of somebody elses?

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5858 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:
        for some reason, in the past Consumer Reports has downgraded SubZero for frequent repairs. and you can bet the parts and labor are higher than for your average Frigidaire.

provided you don't sling pans across the counters and crash them into the backsplash, glass is serviceable and easy to clean. issues with tiles in general revolve around splashed goo not coming out of the grout, so be sure to seal it early and often.

I always held SubZero in higher regards than any CR magazine test. But that is just me.

They recently tested mountain bikes, a passion of mine. Well one complaint the tester had was the stock tires on one bike. Any mountain biker worth his or her salt knows a good bike shop will swap out tires to your liking at N/C {within reason} to make a sale. Its little things like that CR tends to miss.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1582 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of jamiewilliams
        posted Hide Post
        Not sure what your planning on for Kitchen cabinets but if your looking at buying some look in to the Kraftmaid Cabinet Outlet. They get cancelled orders and they sell for a fraction of retail. Wall cabinets cost $90 base cabinets are $95. They have aisles of cabinets and sell groups of sets as well.

Posts: 1 | Location: Youngstown | Registered: Jul 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Change the cabinets to a real wood and do the floors in natural tiles like travertine or something similar. Keep the stainless appliances and the granite and whatever extras like islands you can depending on the home

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sarah Kendall,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It is a great idea to renovate kitchen in a particular budget! I think you should look for something online, things are cheaper there as compared to prices we get in market.

Ashley Furniture HomeStore

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post